Anyone try Hungarian oak Sticks?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kuziwk

Reaction score
I've been using these 1" by 1" by 8" long Hungarian oak sticks, about 50g each. Has anyone else used these? I've been loving the flavor so far I'm just curious as to how much longer extraction takes compared to cubes. They seem to release slower.

I've been using these 1" by 1" by 8" long Hungarian oak sticks, about 50g each. Has anyone else used these? I've been loving the flavor so far I'm just curious as to how much longer extraction takes compared to cubes. They seem to release slower.

Don't know that I've used the exact same ones that you are, but have used similar sized ones before from Wine Stix. Extraction time was recommended in the 2-3 month range. IIRC, the short grained flavors released earlier in the process, the long grained later, so keeping them in for the full time frame was recommended.

Don't know that I've used the exact same ones that you are, but have used similar sized ones before from Wine Stix. Extraction time was recommended in the 2-3 month range. IIRC, the short grained flavors released earlier in the process, the long grained later, so keeping them in for the full time frame was recommended.

Is 2-3 months enough though? I'm thinking now that I'm bulk aging a year when I rack I can put it into the next carboy for another 3-4 month interval before racking again.

Last edited:
Is 2-3 months enough though? I'm thinking now that I'm bulk aging a year when I rack I can put it into the next carboy for another 3-4 month interval before racking again.

I don't think you can leave it in too long, unless the level of oak exceeds your taste preference. Certainly, there just reaches a point in time where it's not going to add any more flavor to your wine, in which case there is no sense in leaving it longer. It's not like a barrel, which imparts oak flavor, provides micro-oxygenation, and concentration to your wine. Even a neutral barrel that imparts no flavor has a positive effect upon wine, for the other two reasons. You just won't get that from a used up stave of oak..........

I don't think you can leave it in too long, unless the level of oak exceeds your taste preference. Certainly, there just reaches a point in time where it's not going to add any more flavor to your wine, in which case there is no sense in leaving it longer. It's not like a barrel, which imparts oak flavor, provides micro-oxygenation, and concentration to your wine. Even a neutral barrel that imparts no flavor has a positive effect upon wine, for the other two reasons. You just won't get that from a used up stave of oak..........

Yes that's right, im just wondering if there is anything left in these staves after 2-3 months. I bought them from Bosa grape in Canada, they say minimum time is 6 weeks and effective up to a year in the wine.

I also understand the microxy of barrels, they are such a pain in rear though mainly due to having to test for sulfites (which I do anyways) and burning sulfer sticks when not in use ect. They also require alot of topping up as the wine evaporates which for me would not be a pure wine from that region. More topping up increases the cost of the wine aswell. That said I might still get a barrel down the road in the future.

Yes that's right, im just wondering if there is anything left in these staves after 2-3 months. I bought them from Bosa grape in Canada, they say minimum time is 6 weeks and effective up to a year in the wine.

If they say that they're effective up to a year, and you're bulk aging that long anyway, there's really nothing to lose by leaving them in. If you find that you're just not getting enough oak flavor, drop another into the wine............That's how I handled my Wine Stix, and it normally took two to get me to a place that I liked.........

If they say that they're effective up to a year, and you're bulk aging that long anyway, there's really nothing to lose by leaving them in. If you find that you're just not getting enough oak flavor, drop another into the wine............That's how I handled my Wine Stix, and it normally took two to get me to a place that I liked.........
Hmm, were you using chips in the primary? Two sticks with chips in the primary is quite a bit...personal preference though I guess. I just used my radial arm saw to cut one in half and dropped it in my passport 2020 union red. I could always add the other half at a later date.

Hmm, were you using chips in the primary? Two sticks with chips in the primary is quite a bit...personal preference though I guess. I just used my radial arm saw to cut one in half and dropped it in my passport 2020 union red. I could always add the other half at a later date.

Didn't use chips in fermentation very much, and I do like oak in my wine. Remember when you cut those sticks in half, only the outside is toasted, so you're exposing your wine to raw, untoasted wood, different flavor profile...........

Didn't use chips in fermentation very much, and I do like oak in my wine. Remember when you cut those sticks in half, only the outside is toasted, so you're exposing your wine to raw, untoasted wood, different flavor profile...........

Yeah only a small side is exposed though as I didn't rip it I cut it in half... not sure if it will make a difference. It's about 25G in weight now.

I have used Hungarian oak cubes in the past and presently and was very satisfied with the results.
The good thing about the cubes, is that you can dose it how you want. The recommended dosage for medium toast is 2 to 3 Oz per gallon. I left them in for 12 month and it came out how I like it, not too strong with a good balance for a Cab

Back