Anyone tried this before?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FentonCellars

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this would be a good idea or not... but has anyone left a whole grape in the wine when bottling? Much like the worm in the Tequila bottle, but a grape.

Would this give off flavor or would it hurt the wine when aged in the bottle?

Sounds like an excellent opportunity to experiment. I would definitely rinse them with some potassium metbisulfate solution first, but for your next batch I would leave some bottles without, some with 1 or 2 grapes and some with a big handful.

If there are no ill effects, I could see some potential with raspberries in a blush wine, for example - using a clear bottle, of course.

Let us know if you try it out.

I know that Black Star Farms used to have a pear wine with a whole pear in the bottle. I looked at their web site and didn't see an picture of it. From what I understand, they'd go into the orchard and place a bottle over a bud in the spring and let the pear grow inside the bottle. When it was time to harvest the fruit, it would end up in the bottle and they'd bottle right on top of the fruit!

It might get a little agraviting when trying to pour the wine if the grape blocks the spout.

All great points. If I get enough time to try this, I'll let everyone know how it goes.

pear Brandy

Exellent idea with the grape. I have been to Black Star and have a bottle of there pear brandy. I have not opened it because its so cool looking sitting on the back of my bar. As stated by Tod they pollinated a flower and then push it into a bottle that they hang from a higher branch. It grows to full size before picking and filling with brandy

Latest posts

Back