Anyone tried Cotton Candy floss sugar?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M38A1

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was cleaning out a closet at work and came across a case of "Cotton Candy Floss Sugar - Bubble Gum Flavor" and thought to myself Hmmmmmm.......... :)

So I'm sitting here with 19.5lbs of this sugar wondering if I should just go ahead and give it a try. Lemon-Bubble Gum.

My approach would be to follow the recipe per the directions and simply sway out the floss sugar for regular sugar and see where it goes.

Thoughts? Anyone else tried this?

IMG_9534.JPG IMG_9535.JPG

It will probably make a skeeter pee just fine. The bubble gum flavor might be a bit odd with something else. Might be odd anyway, but think summer wine, add some tropical fruit?

Or do a straight Skeeter and back sweeten with the floss sugar. I'd be a little concerned with what flavors the yeast will make out of the artificial stuff in the mix. Maybe ec1118 would be neutral enough. Let us know how it turns out

Thanks for all the ideas!
I've got something in my primary at the moment so I think this will be next in the queue. I'll keep you posted.

Well, with all this shelter-in-place going on and in my area sugar seems to be a bit difficult to find. So I just kicked off a batch of SkeeterPee using the pink bubblegum floss sugar in place of regular sugar. Started out with a one gallons batch and then thought "go big or go home" and scaled it up to a full 5gal. I have to say, the resulting 'lemonade' stock prior to pitching the yeast tastes, well, just like regular SP lemonade but it's pink. So I'm hopeful this will work and just be pink in the end. Unfortunately I'm out of my EC1118 so I'm trying K1-V1116 which seems pretty hardy according to their site. Thinking of names already if this turns out drinkable. Like "Pink Lemonade" or "Pretty in Pink". lol Fingers crossed.... Starting SG 1.083 so it's a tad bit hotter than normal...IMG_9817.JPGIMG_9818.JPGIMG_9819.JPG

So after a few days, this stuff finally kicked off. I ran it through full fermentation in the bucket and today just racked it off after achieving .990SG three days in a row. Did the k-meta/k-sorbate and sparkloid this morning. I'll let this run a couple weeks to see how it clears and go from there. Thinking of names like "Pepto", "Pretty in Pink" or just "Pink Lemonade" since it was a SkeeterPee base. I'll have some updates in a couple weeks.

Well crud. Day 2 of clearing with Sparkloid and I believe all the color is being stripped out. It 'was' such a pretty pink. I'll let this go two weeks to clear and then when I back sweeten use the floss sugar again in hopes of better color retention.
IMG_9951.JPG

The colors may not be bound in that stuff in such a way that it will hang in there. If you really like the pink color, maybe you could blend in a little red wine once it’s clear to get the hue you desire.

The colors may not be bound in that stuff in such a way that it will hang in there. If you really like the pink color, maybe you could blend in a little red wine once it’s clear to get the hue you desire.

Thanks John.... I'll consider that with a test sample in a couple weeks.

Well crud. Day 2 of clearing with Sparkloid and I believe all the color is being stripped out. It 'was' such a pretty pink. I'll let this go two weeks to clear and then when I back sweeten use the floss sugar again in hopes of better color retention.
View attachment 60069
I might be concerned about how those artificial colors and flavors do, but the sugar itself seems to sugar and you can certainly ferment it.
Looks like you hit that nail on the head @cmason1957 !!!!!!!

Silly question on red food coloring... Will smaller amounts give a pink hue or a red hue? I guess I'll just have to try and find out along with some red wine infusion as an experiment. I'll know more in a couple weeks when it's cleared fully. Thanks everyone so far.

Looks like you hit that nail on the head @cmason1957 !!!!!!!

Even a blind hog finds an acorn once in a while, is what my old boss used to say. That and I made a candy cane wine once that started kind of a pink/red color and ended up just as pretty white as could be.

The back sweeten with floss sugar kept it's pink color. So we let that sit a couple weeks to make sure it was going to hold and bottled it. Tastes just like a SkeeterPee but it's pink!

Thanks for your help on this one. :)

Latest posts

Back