Anyone spraying liquid boron?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HanksHill

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with liquid boron to correct boron deficiencies? Local vineyard owner mentioned applying via foliar spray along with anti-fungals but have no idea about concentration as I know it's a micronutrient.

In your soil analysis did they mention how much sodium borate you will need to add to your soil? I would add it in a liquid form to your soil do you have drip irrigation
You can use borax if you can't find boron

Last edited:
Here is the soil report. There's a pounds per acre calc for boron. I have no idea how that would actually translate to something in a backpack sprayer for instance that could be applied systemically. Everything else has been done. The low boron is a likely result of the low PH. A lot of hydrated lime has since been applied.

Attachments

• Chris Bowers 820 Upper Glencoe RdPDFreport_pdf008-009.PDF
    108.8 KB · Views: 7
Boron, like nitrogen, is extremely mobile in the soil so annual applications may be your best bet. If you’re seeing foliar symptoms of deficiency, there are a lot of products that you can readily mix with a fungicide spray. Your best bet is to contact your local ag retailer.

I did this at my property after soil analysis. I will probably have to do it every few years. Sprayed diluted solution directly on the ground in between the vines, just before rain storms. Somewhere I read that you could also pour it on the ground under the drippers if you didn't have an upcoming weather event to help soak it into the ground. But I was a little uncomfortable with that.

Borax sounds like an interesting approach. Wish I'd thought of that before I purchased a 2.5G jug of boron. I have a lifetime supply now.

I will tell you that I was warned several times to do the math correctly on the application rates. Apparently you can't really correct it if you apply too much.

Back