Anyone making Chilean wine and what kind?

Discussion in 'General Wine Making Forum' started by trolo, Mar 1, 2016.

Wine Making Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk by donating:

1. Mar 1, 2016 #1

trolo

trolo

trolo

Older Member

Hello all sorry if I missed this and it is a repeat. I am looking over the juice list and was trying to pick a couple out. So I was wondering what anyone else is making ?

2. Mar 2, 2016 #2

Rocky

Rocky

Rocky

Chronologically Gifted Member

I am not planning to make any this year but I have in the past. My experience has been that their whites are very good, consistently. The reds tend to vary markedly from year to year. Three years ago the reds were outstanding and needed nothing. The next time I tried them I had to work to make a decent wine by adding crushed grapes, other fruit concentrates (e.g. blackberry) and raisins.

3. Mar 2, 2016 #3

Boatboy24

Boatboy24

Boatboy24

No longer a newbie, but still clueless.

At this moment, I'm planning on Cab Sauv, Merlot, Syrah, and Carmenere.

4. Mar 2, 2016 #4

Floandgary

Floandgary

Floandgary

Bottle at a time

Have done quite a few Chilean buckets and have several approaching bottling. Am ordering a Cab Franc this spring. Sauvignon Blanc is a signature wine and I have been pleased every time I've made it. Carmenere has become somewhat synonymous with Chile since the French thumbed their noses at it! As with juices from just about anywhere, there will be varying reviews regarding quality. Despite occasional criticism of juice bucket wines, they are perfect for the amateur hobbyist. There are plenty of tweaking methods if your taste buds are not satisfied.. Good luck and enjoy!!

5. Mar 3, 2016 #5

JohnT

JohnT

JohnT

Moderator Super Moderator

I am currently on the fence on if I am doing Chilean this year. I normally just do this with my brother and he is planning on taking a 2 week vacation right around the time that the grapes come in.

On one hand, I have been grinding away making wine twice a year for the last 4 years. A break would be nice...

BUT...

Then I think of how sorry I will be in missing a potentially great vintage...

Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
    Boatboy24 and barbiek like this.
  6. Mar 3, 2016 #6

scurry64

scurry64

scurry64

Temperance League President Emeritus

I ordered a bucket of Barbera and a bucket of Carmenere.

7. Mar 3, 2016 #7

trolo

trolo

trolo

Older Member

Thanks all for the input.
    I was looking at Luva Bella and I think I might go for Carmenere and a Moscatel Alejandria. Of course my best half and co-wine drinker likes sweet wine.
    2 yr ago I got a bucket of Muscat it was good I fact just pulled out one of the last bottles and wow so much better with a little age on it. The biggest problem I have is keeping it that long. We drink too fast to keep plus what I give away my wife's Rn friends.
    Tom

heatherd likes this.
  8. Mar 3, 2016 #8

Matty_Kay

Matty_Kay

Matty_Kay

Going with a bucket of Carmenere with 2 lugs of grapes added.

Boatboy24 likes this.
  9. Mar 3, 2016 #9

tmmii

tmmii

tmmii

Still trying to bottle my Chilean from last year.

10. Mar 3, 2016 #10

Julie

Julie

Julie

Super Moderator Super Moderator

I'm going with Malbec and maybe zinfindal but that would be it.

11. Mar 4, 2016 #11

boppy1

boppy1

boppy1

Junior

I have been making Chilean wine from juice for the past 4 years and have never had a problem. Originally purchasing in 6 gallon buckets thru Keystone Homebrew, PA. Now purchasing thru Harford Vineyards in Maryland. I do Sauvignon Blanc, Pinot Gri, Chardonnay, Malbec, Cabernet & Merlot blend, Pinot Noir, & Syrah. All without problems. I do malolactic fermentation `& French oak chips for reds & Chardonnay. Haven't had any complaints yet except for is there more?

12. Mar 4, 2016 #12

Tom

Tom

Tom

I love the Malbec, Carmenere, Merlot/ cab,
    Can't go wrong. BUTT ck gravity usually low. Add some simple syrup to bring gravity ti 1.100. also needs oak :ib

13. Mar 4, 2016 #13

FTC Wines

FTC Wines

FTC Wines

Senior Member WMT Supporter

We are doing 2 buckets of Cab & one of Malbec , from Pardo Grapes in Tampa. May have to look into Carmenere, don't know a thing about it! Roy

14. Mar 4, 2016 #14

JohnT

JohnT

JohnT

Moderator Super Moderator

Was that pail juice or fresh grapes.

I have found that the fresh grapes are always right on the money, hovering anywhere from 23 to 26 brix. I have yet to encounter low brix (not that I am complaining).

15. Mar 4, 2016 #15

Boatboy24

Boatboy24

Boatboy24

No longer a newbie, but still clueless.

Carmenere is a great wine on its own, and also blends well with a little Cab.

16. Mar 4, 2016 #16

Johnd

Johnd

Johnd

Large Member WMT Supporter

Just got an email from M & M about the upcoming release of their Frozen Chilean Must. I didn't see them on the sponsor list for this forum, so I'm not going to share lots of information, but this is what they are offering:

Cab Sauv, Cab Fran, Carmenere, Malbec, Merlot, Pinot Noir, Syrah, and Pinotage (SA).

I'll be ordering 2 or 3 of these, 2 pails of each, grapes destemmed and crushed into 5 gal pails, frozen and shipped. I'm guessing that with shipping ($50?) and a yield of about 8 gallons or so from 2 pails of each varietal, the wine will be produced for about $7.50 per bottle. Not living anywhere near real grape production areas, I know that I have to pay a premium, but gotta start somewhere............

If one of our moderators will PM me and let me know if it's OK, I can post their contact info., prices, etc. for anyone who might be interested.

17. Mar 4, 2016 #17

Sag12

Sag12

Sag12

Junior

Hi Johnd,
    By M&M do you mean Mosti Mondiale? It's funny that you have the varieties you wrote on your post. At my LHBS here in Montréal (which is near the plant of Mosti), we have no Cab Franc and Pinot Noir, but we have access to two type of Chardonnay.

( Just got an email from M & M about the upcoming release of their Frozen Chilean Must. I didn't see them on the sponsor list for this forum, so I'm not going to share lots of information, but this is what they are offering:

Cab Sauv, Cab Fran, Carmenere, Malbec, Merlot, Pinot Noir, Syrah, and Pinotage (SA).)

18. Mar 4, 2016 #18

Johnd

Johnd

Johnd

Large Member WMT Supporter

No, not Mosti Mondiale, M&M, aka Musto Wine Grape Company, www.juicegrape.com

19. Mar 29, 2016 #19

DocDRB

DocDRB

DocDRB

Junior

I am working on the RJS Cellar Classics kit Chilean cab Malbec Carmenere. It was a great buy at about $100 at my local supply shop and I think is turning out really nicely.

20. Mar 29, 2016 #20

kevinlfifer

kevinlfifer

kevinlfifer

From Gentile Juice

1 each of:
    Sav Blanc
    Chardonnay
    Cab Franc
    Merlot
    Pinot Noir
    Syrah