Anyone make Pinot Gris from grapes?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maheesh

Reaction score
I could use a little help. Last year I let the birds have my Pinot Gris grapes, because in four yearly attempts, my efforts resulted in a nasty bitter wine. Even with whole cluster pressing. Now I see that prefixing with bentonite and polydactyl can reduce astringency and bitterness. Does anyone have any experience with Pinot Gris that could offer me some tips? Thanks.

I could use a little help. Last year I let the birds have my Pinot Gris grapes, because in four yearly attempts, my efforts resulted in a nasty bitter wine. Even with whole cluster pressing. Now I see that prefixing with bentonite and polydactyl can reduce astringency and bitterness. Does anyone have any experience with Pinot Gris that could offer me some tips? Thanks.
I did a batch of PG a few years back from Brehm, and did use some bentonite in the process. It came out great. It was pressed and settled juice, shipped frozen, so I didn't do the juice extraction. If it helps, you can go back and look at the thread for all the details: Spring '17 White Wine Project

I grow a lot of Pinot gris.

It can be a bright grape, with very low pH and thus high acidity. Especially if growing in non-optimal regions (soils, climate, etc). You do not say where you are from so I can not say what impact that may have, but it probably does have an impact if you are having problems. Where you are would help and assist.

Also, it is not uncommon for young Vinifera vines of any variety needing to be up to 10 years old before they "settle down" and produce better wine. How old are you vines?

To otherwise help with your question, it would be a good start to know a few basics at crush, such as what was the pH, Brix/SG, and TA of your grapes at harvest? Do you try to correct for any of these (i.e. adding Tartaric or other acids?).

Bitterness may also be due to some residual Acetic acid development. So your wine making method should be fully described.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Thanks...I’m in southern Oregon, latitude 42.2,longitude 123....vineyard is 8 years old...typical readings have been 23 Brie, ph 3.1, ta unknown.

Grapes have been both crushed and whole cluster pressed, in bladder press, settled over night, pitched next morning ar temps up to 65, covered, in stainless tank.

Latest posts

Back