Anyone make pet nat wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wood1954

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have inadvertently made pet nat, once when my apple wine fermented in the bottle and two years ago my dry blueberry wine seemed to go thru MLF and was somewhat fizzy. I’m thinking of deliberately making a fizzy rose this fall but not sure when to take it out of the fermenter and bottle it. Kind of a cheap champagne,oops I’m mean a sparkling wine, don’t want the frenchies coming after me.

I made elderflower in pet-nat style last year, and will probably do so again this year. The consensus seems to be to bottle at 1-1.5 brix (1.004-1.006 SG). That's a pretty tight window; it's probably too high the day before and too low the day after. And I'm sure you know this, but use champagne bottles...

Or, you could ferment it dry and add back sugar; 12g/L for lightly sparkling, 25g/L for champagne level of bubbles, though the latter is probably not a good idea unless you're controlling the process more carefully. And if you really want to go down the sparkling rabbit hole, you could do full-on traditional/champagne method (I'm hoping to bottle my blanc de noir next month!)

Here are some useful pet-nat references:

The Science of Pét-Nat Wines | SevenFifty Daily
How we make Pet-Nat: frequently asked questions (and some math)
Technical Information about Pét-Nats (Pétillant Naturels, or Sparkling Wines Produced by Méthode Ancestrale)
Making it / 2014 – Pét-Nat.com

I made elderflower in pet-nat style last year, and will probably do so again this year. The consensus seems to be to bottle at 1-1.5 brix (1.004-1.006 SG). That's a pretty tight window; it's probably too high the day before and too low the day after. And I'm sure you know this, but use champagne bottles...

Or, you could ferment it dry and add back sugar; 12g/L for lightly sparkling, 25g/L for champagne level of bubbles, though the latter is probably not a good idea unless you're controlling the process more carefully. And if you really want to go down the sparkling rabbit hole, you could do full-on traditional/champagne method (I'm hoping to bottle my blanc de noir next month!)

Here are some useful pet-nat references:

The Science of Pét-Nat Wines | SevenFifty Daily
How we make Pet-Nat: frequently asked questions (and some math)
Technical Information about Pét-Nats (Pétillant Naturels, or Sparkling Wines Produced by Méthode Ancestrale)
Making it / 2014 – Pét-Nat.com
Thanks for the info

Latest posts

Back