WineXpert Anyone have experience with Winexpert Twisted Mist Limited Editions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrJeff

Junior
Reaction score
In particular, a couple have been recently released (e.g. Sex on the Beach Wine Recipe Kit & Pina Colada). Generally, these types of kits are not where my interests lay, but i had good luck with this recent dragon fruit lemonade limited release thing. Anyway, people liked it and I'm willing to give another similar kit type a try. I have two questions:

(1) What are people's experience with these? And...

(2) The instructions look like simple, straight up plain grape wine kit instructions. But the tasting notes seem to suggest there would be some sort of flavor pack and/or alcohol additive to fortify. Is it really just grape juice? Or do the generic directions not reflect what comes in the kit, and what's needed on the back end.

I googled around but couldn't really find anything. Any thoughts would be most appreciated.

These types of kits are a basic grape wine which is flavored with an F-pack, post-fermentation. The F-pack will contain sugar + applicable flavoring.

The ones I'm familiar with produce ~7% ABV. A lot of folks chaptalize them to 10-12% ABV, which gives them a longer shelf life.

Do u guys ever bottle carb these kinda vinos?
IMO you don't want to do natural carbonation, aka fermentation in the bottle, as the result is a dry wine. These wines are grape with fruit, and taste best with backsweetening. If I was going to carbonate, I'd do forced carbonation so the result is both carbonated and a bit sweet.

As opposed to a specific amount of water, I shoot for a specific gravity reading.

How much sugar are you adding -- 4lbs??

Thinking about trying this one for a bit of summertime variety:
RJS Orchard Breezin Peach Perfection Wine Kit (northernbrewer.com)

Cheers!
I did the Peach Perfection last year and got great reviews from friends and family, so I did it again and am about to bottle it today. I added sugar and shorted the water.

First batch: 2 cups sugar, water to just over 5 gallons - starting s.g. = 1.069

Second batch: 2.5 cups sugar, water to just over 5 gallons - starting s.g. = 1.080

Just finished the Sex on the Beach. I made it to instructions with no modifications. Really happy with the way it turned out. A Sex on the Beach cocktail has peach, orange and cranberry. IMO all three flavors are present. Peach flavoring in many drinks has a very artificial flavor and smell. The peach in this kit is good. The wife is a dry red drinker but said it should be very popular with or wine cooler drinking friends. Should really be good with a dash of vodka. I kegged it and have it on tap in my beer kegerator under very low serving pressure.

@GaDawg Do you short the water, too?
I assume a final SG OF 0.099, so I adjust the water for a specific alcohol content. For example if I set the SG at 1.070 I will end up with a wine that is approximately 10%. I’ve been told that a 10% wine will keep better.

In particular, a couple have been recently released (e.g. Sex on the Beach Wine Recipe Kit & Pina Colada). Generally, these types of kits are not where my interests lay, but i had good luck with this recent dragon fruit lemonade limited release thing. Anyway, people liked it and I'm willing to give another similar kit type a try. I have two questions:

(1) What are people's experience with these? And...

(2) The instructions look like simple, straight up plain grape wine kit instructions. But the tasting notes seem to suggest there would be some sort of flavor pack and/or alcohol additive to fortify. Is it really just grape juice? Or do the generic directions not reflect what comes in the kit, and what's needed on the back end.

I googled around but couldn't really find anything. Any thoughts would be most appreciated.
What should final gravity be? When I used 1 Lb sugar and 1 liter wine for chaptilizing. My final was.990 or less. It’s also very dry. Needs sweetener.

I’ve done all of them just add one quart of simple syrup to the primary then follow the process you can’t get to technical with thes the flavor packet does it all , the addition of the sugars makes it a twisted drink , they can be fun, try not to over think the process

I realize this thread is a few months old now but I started the Hurricane at 1.056 and the Pink Lemonade at 1.068 adding 1 ½ cups of sugar to each last week. Hope for a 7% wine cooler over ice. Yes, its my first time with Twisted Mist kits but at the price it was hard to pass up the opportunity ..... pass or fail lol Any advice or anything I should do / not do? I'm coming off a sorta failed raspberry wine.

Latest posts

Back