Anyone have a tawny port recipe?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Norton

Reaction score
About the only wine product that my wife likes is a tawny port that we get from Augusta Winery. I would like to try and replicate a tawny port if I can find a recipe and I don't have to age it for ten years in a barrel!

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making

Well for a tawny, the oxidation from being in the barrel for so long as well as the aging is part of the wine. You might be able to accelerate it with airation, but you won't be able to hurry the aging.

What kind of grapes do you plan on using?

I usually have access to various fresh juice hybrids such a as chardonell, Vidal blanc, Tramminette. I wonder though if they (the winery that makes the tawny port that is the object of my desire) use Norton free run juice to make the port since most local wineries make a dark port using Norton.

Once I can figure out how to do it I have a one gallon new barrel that I could use.

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making

When I think of tawny I think of age and oxidation although there is some young tawny port that is quite good. Just not sure how you oxidize it without it spoiling. If you figure it out I would surely be interested.

Yeah, that's my understanding, too. The recipe for Tawney Port is to take a Ruby Port and age it for an additional ten years or so.

Latest posts

Back