Anyone had a Red Kit take a really long time to ferment?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Quick question y’all please, has anyone had a Red wine kit take a lot longer than normal to stop fermenting?
I am making my second 30bottle “Make Your Own” red kit from The Range and unlike the first kit this one seems to be really slowing down, it’s about 1038 after just over a week. It’s been at a constant 23° in the beer fridge. It is still bubbling away but only slowly, Is this all normal?

The first kit was ready after 7 days and was 12%, this is currently only around 5%.

Really don’t want to be pouring this down the drain 🤞 thanks guys!

I had a kit take 4 months to finish. I would add a small amount of nutrient first. If that doesn't work add some recovery yeast like e-1118. Give it time.

Just give it time, time is your friend. I often leave my wines in the primary for 3 weeks or longer, and it doesn’t seem to hurt it a bit. I like my wines on the dry side and try to use as much of the natural sugar up as possible. I take it that the 23 degrees is C? Low temps will take a bit longer, what yeast are you using, that can effect the rate also. But, as I said, keep monitoring the SG and let it work.

If you are deciding that fermentation is still going on or going slowly only by looking at bubbles, please remember that airlocks and lids lie to folks all the time. The gas will escape through the point of least resistance, that might be your airlock, but I never count on it. Hydrometer measurements have never let me down.

Latest posts

Back