Anyone Growing Marquette Grapes?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wain and see if they freeze at all. If not you should thin to 1 cluster per shoot for year three and keep 2 per cluster for year four(unless the vine is small).

I lost some leaves due to a frost about three weeks ago. If these little clusters freeze, do they wither and die? So some could be a loss and some others survive?

Thanks, Rich. Hope all's well up north. I heard that Whiteface Mtn got 18" of snow last night!

Bob

Here's a picture of my Marquettes coming out of their blue tubes last year. First year vines taken Aug 7th, 2012. I removed the tubes a week later to let them harden off.

HappyGrapes8-7-2012.jpg

First Harvest of My Marquettes This Year - Bird Netting?

I've read and heard of too many tales of birds eating an entire crop of grapes and would like to avoid that.

I looked at Double A's bird woven nets and might buy them. Perhaps Grapeman or other upstate NY growers can comment on whether it's worth it or not. The netting will be for my 32 Marquette vines as they are in the third year and have loads of clusters forming. I cropped down to one cluster per shoot last weekend.

If the netting is recommended, how do you install it manually? The netting width is 17 feet, so do you simply drape it over the top of the vines with half of the netting on each side? Also, do you tie the netting underneath to prevent birds from entering there?

Thanks,
Bob

Yes, the nets are typically draped over the vines and then secured underneath. Those birds definitely will get in underneath if they can. It is easiest to install if you have a tractor with a boom that raises the net over the top of the vines and a couple of people on either side to help spread it out over the vines as you move down the row.

If I remember correctly, Grapeman had a picture posted once of a homemade netting boom in operation. Unless I am mistaking him for someone else on here.

They make reusable clips to clip the bottom sides together. They were pretty pricey IIRC. My local hardware store had a small $0.99 section of stuff and I found they had packages of 50 small zip ties for a buck. They worked perfectly for my small amount of vines. When the season was over I just cut em off with a pair of dyke pliers. And yes if this is your first time to ripen grapes you will definitely need netting. Every bird in the county will be raiding your crop once the word gets out!

Yes you want nets and yes I did post a machine I made to install it- total overkill for you. What will makke it easier is to take a 5 foot piece of 1.5 inch pvc pipe as a handle. Get a 4 inch x 2inch sewer sanitary T. Get an adapter or two to size the 1.5 inch to the 2 inch part of the T. When installing the net, string the net out keeping it tight and thread the net through the T and raise it up over the trellis and grapes. Tie the end of the net to the end post and walk down the row keeping the net above the grapes. It works easiest to get a person on either side of the row and just drape the net loosely over the vines. Then fasten the bottom with some kind of clips. It really goes quite quickly but you really need about 3 people to do it easily. Even kids can do it (10 years old or above). Make it a fun job and keep the grapes from the birds.

Thanks Greg and Mike. Special thanks to Rich for the "net installer" tool!

Any recommendations on specific nets? Tight weave?

:b
Bob

My vines came late, but a half dozen going in the ground tomorrow. Three month old vines, and a couple already have tiny clusters. Wow! I might try to get a crop next year.

bellmtbbq said:
My vines came late, but a half dozen going in the ground tomorrow. Three month old vines, and a couple already have tiny clusters. Wow! I might try to get a crop next year.

That would not be recommended. You need your vines to develop a good root system on year one and develop a good trunk and maybe cordons in year two. If you let it fruit the vine will not be as strong as it needs to be for the future.

As much as it hurts to prune off the little clusters, Greg is correct. Mine are now three years old and I spent two hours pruning off all the clusters (and they were loaded!) except one on each shoot. Good luck!
Bob

Yea, I absolutely understand removing them this year. I was just curious whether I could push a small crop out of them next year, depending on their condition and vigor. We'll see how much the trunk/vine develops in diameter as the season progresses.

Loads of Clusters - Please Comment on Health Status

I'm sure some of them are no good, but overall evaluation of this first harvest (3rd year) would be most appreciated.

Also, some recs on the netting. I'm tempted to go with Double A, but would also like to know your recs based on experience.

Cheers,
Bob

P1030651_zpse97e17af.jpg

P1030651_zpse97e17af.jpg.html

Wow, that looks really bad there. Those clusters are covered with what looks like phomopsis (all the brown spots and blisters both on the grapes and leaves). It looks like all the rain washed off your spraying efforts- if any. If you didn't spray, you need to next year. I wouldn't expect to get a lot if they all look like that. Sorry for the bad news.................

Wow, that looks really bad there. Those clusters are covered with what looks like phomopsis (all the brown spots and blisters both on the grapes and leaves). It looks like all the rain washed off your spraying efforts- if any. If you didn't spray, you need to next year. I wouldn't expect to get a lot if they all look like that. Sorry for the bad news.................

I thought it might be bad, but I appreciate your diagnosis. All part of the learning experience. :(

Is it worth cutting the clusters that have it, or should I assume that all the vines have the fungus present, whether showing it or not? Could I spray it now for the clusters that don't appear infected?

We were out in Oregon for the last two weeks while our area had rain almost every day.

Bob

Latest posts

Back