Anyone Growing Marquette Grapes?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No that isn't what I mean. I mean you use those for VSP, not the 4 arm kniffen. You asked about VSP. For the 4 arm kniffen, let the shoots trail downward from the upper and the lower- that is why you can get a bit of shading.

No that isn't what I mean. I mean you use those for VSP, not the 4 arm kniffen. You asked about VSP. For the 4 arm kniffen, let the shoots trail downward from the upper and the lower- that is why you can get a bit of shading.

Got it. Thanks!

I just ordered 14 plants and I have no idea what trellis system to use. The vines wil be here wensday and I am preping the site saturday.

I would go with a Top Wire Cordon all the way. They do very well on that trellis system plus its cheaper and easier to set up!

I just ordered 14 plants and I have no idea what trellis system to use. The vines wil be here wensday and I am preping the site saturday.

Lucky,

No rush to put the trellis system in yet. I've got vines I planted last year and plan on putting the posts up and wire system later this year. You will be pruning your vines back severely after this first year of growth, so no trellis is needed at this time.

I strongly recommend using growth tubes for the first year. Just remember to remove them at the end of the summer. I've had great results with them on all three varieties I've planted.

Good luck and post some pics.

:b
Bob

Ah Bob...... you do cut the vines back, but get ready for explosive growth. The main trunk shoot should be to the top wire by July 1, maybe sooner. Today I saw some vines in the new vineyard cut back to 6 feet high and the buds broke on those vines today. They are also as big around as a normal finger at the end where it was cut back. Oh, I didn't mention, those were Marquette planted last year from 6 inch long 2 button cuttings. Look for some updated pictures in a few weeks as we install the trellises there. I would say you will need your trellis by the end of June to mid July to even try to keep up with them.

Grapeman,

I also had the first year Marquettes and then the Frontenac and Corot Noir get over six feet tall in the first year. But I had them in grow tubes tied to six foot stakes. Then cut them back to the best three buds at the bottom of the trunk for the second year. That's what I was referring to.

Were you referring to second year vines that had bud break, Rich? I was just suggesting what Lucky could do for the first year.

I'll defer to your judgement on this one, though.

Bob

P1030331.jpg
[/IMG]
thanks for the advice and what are these growth tubes you speak of?

They are plastic tubes that cover the first year vines to protect them from wind burn, varmints, etc. The ones I used from Double A vineyard supplies were blue. They filter the sunlight to capture the rays that will encourage growth, usually accelerating it from my own personal experience.

Mine came with flat, blue sheets that you rolled up and inserted in a plastic sleeve. As it's now double-walled, you slip a bamboo or other kind of thin stake in between. I also found it was easier watering the vines as I aimed the hose down inside the tube.

It also gives them vertical support, too. The growth was so vigorous that I had a hard time removing them, afraid I would damage the vine. But then I realized it would be pruned back anyway and was able to take them off fairly quickly.

I reused them for another couple of rows last year (Malbec and Corot Noir).

I think I've seen another color tube out there, too. Can't remember what it is, though.

Here's what they looked like:

P1030331.jpg
P1030331.jpg

P1030331.jpg
a>

so 18 inch tubes are good? I ordered the vines from double A and they ship on monday.

so 18 inch tubes are good? I ordered the vines from double A and they ship on monday.

Not sure where you saw the 18" reference? All of Double A's growth tubes are 30" tall and 3.5" in diameter according to their web site.

The ones in the picture I posted are 30" tubes. The 1 1/2 rows to the left are new Frontenac I put in last year, and the remaining 1 1/2 rows are Corot Noir.

Bob

Hey everyone, year 2 here in Mystic. I'm planning the trellis and had a few questions about Rich's modified GDC. A couple years ago you had linked to some info, but that link seems to be dead, unfortunately. Do you have a summary of the system posted somewhere?

How tall are your end posts? What row spacing did you use? I think I recall you saying your cordon wire was 6'6". Is that correct?

I put in another 50 vines this spring. Gonna be a great year!

Hey everyone, year 2 here in Mystic. I'm planning the trellis and had a few questions about Rich's modified GDC. A couple years ago you had linked to some info, but that link seems to be dead, unfortunately. Do you have a summary of the system posted somewhere?

How tall are your end posts? What row spacing did you use? I think I recall you saying your cordon wire was 6'6". Is that correct?

I put in another 50 vines this spring. Gonna be a great year!

Any information I posted on the sysems was purposely sketchy because I am just developing this system and it only exists in my one trial vineyard atr this point. All links I had to any system should still be active.

The Modified GDC is simply a normal GDC tipped at an angle. There are two fruiting wires- one at about 6'6" and the other one at about 5'. The angle bar sits at about 45-60 degrees and has a brace bar welded to it. I have posted many pictures of it in my threads- the latest has to do with pruning for different training systems. The angled bar is about 32 inches long, but these brackets are custom made so you can adopt your brackets to the space you have.

7939d1367150459-pruning-different-training-systems-modgdc.jpg

7739d1365614631-pruning-different-training-systems-modgdc.jpg

Looks Like Marquette Grape Clusters!

These are my third year vines and looks like a lot of clusters forming. We have a freeze warning tonight (down to ~ 32 or so). Will these survive?

P1030601_zpsf8ee8391.jpg
P1030601_zpsf8ee8391.jpg
P1030601_zpsf8ee8391.jpg

Thinning Out Clusters?

What is the general rule for thinning out Marquette clusters?

I tried to insert the above text in the previous message after the image but couldn't get it into the text box.

Wain and see if they freeze at all. If not you should thin to 1 cluster per shoot for year three and keep 2 per cluster for year four(unless the vine is small).

Latest posts

Back