Anyone fly fish or have rod preferences

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3274mike

Michigan Member
Reaction score
Just curious if any of you fly fish on here? New to sport actually haven't done it in like 25 years and it was like a handful of times. So I have some fly rigs bUT they are mostly I would call vintage. Looking at buying a fly combo to start with lots of people suggest Orvis encounter $169 5-6wt looks like a great rod no warranty, looking at temple fork outfitters nxt outfit $180. And last echo base outfit $180. Both Echo and TFO have lifetime warranty. Have always received great advice here on wine so I thought I would throw it's out there

I went to a fly fishing expo, handled lots of different rods. I walked with a Sage, it just felt "right"....no logic involved. Test drive if you can.

Just curious if any of you fly fish on here? New to sport actually haven't done it in like 25 years and it was like a handful of times. So I have some fly rigs bUT they are mostly I would call vintage. Looking at buying a fly combo to start with lots of people suggest Orvis encounter $169 5-6wt looks like a great rod no warranty, looking at temple fork outfitters nxt outfit $180. And last echo base outfit $180. Both Echo and TFO have lifetime warranty. Have always received great advice here on wine so I thought I would throw it's out there

Find a local fly fishing shop that let's you test drive what they sell (usually out in the side yard). Did that years ago at Fly Fisherman's Paradise near State College, PA. Was torn between an Orvis Rocky Mtn 7'9" 5 wt and a comparable Sage rod. Both had warranties (25 year I think), but the Sage was a bit stiffer and loaded too quickly on the back cast, so I had issues casting it. I was worried about casting distance with the Orvis, but it just happened that Joe Humphrey's stopped by the shop and showed me it could cast more than far enough (he was an amazing caster). He also explained that the Sage was meant for "bigger" water, so take into account the streams/rivers you will be fishing on when selecting the rod. I fish mostly smaller water (Pine Creek in Northern PA, Yellow Breeches, Letort, Big Spring etc), so the Orvis was a good choice for me.

I bought a couple of used Fenwick graphites off of ebone for a very good price. A 3-4 and a 5-6. Also got a couple of large spool reels. New condition for 1/2 or less.

Thanks for replying, talked a guy at field and stream today who used to guide in northern michigan for a long time he pretty much sold me on a redington path it's probably the middle ground between inexpensive and expensive. Showed me the redington path next to one of the sage rods not a lot of difference that a beginner like me could tell. This with him pointing out guides cork and reel seatone rod was $130 other was $600. Told me the tip action was better for a beginner. Redington is owned by sage and caries the same lifetime warranty. The guide service would buy the redington for customer use because they were reatively in expensive, really nice action and lifetime warranty. Not buying anything until I try it but sounds like a good choice for a beginner.kit runs around $200 and watching for deals. Thanks again now time to open some wine

I have several entry level rods (Diamond Backs and a Powell) that just gather dust now. So I wouldn't collect too many in your arsenal as now I'd rather have not made the purchase. As basically I have double bought my fly rods.
I have one Sage SP rod that I love, was my first high end rod since then I have only purchased Winston rods. If you consider it's a life time purchase might justify the extra cost.

Latest posts

Back