Anyone familiar with variable bud break

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FrontenacMan

Reaction score
Two of my Frontenac vines have popped out new grape clusters this past week. Does anyone know much about this topic. I don't know that there is enough growing season left for them to mature and ripen. This happened last year on my Frontenac Gris but it was much later (mid August) and it was only a couple of clusters. There are six or seven clusters on each of the two vines. This is new to me.

My Frontenac vines did that last year. As that was my first year taking a little fruit from them I let it sit. None of the bonus clusters ripened fully. Too much acid and not enough sugar. I ended up throwing them away. There was no harm done to the vines that did this. I think for my future reference If I see it happen I'll remove them. Not for the sake of the vine, but to help keep a consistent harvest.

Thanks Kevin. I think this will turn out the same way as yours did. Kinda of wondering what causes this though. It's almost like the vines are confused as to what phase of fruit bearing they are in. I wonder if varying intensities of winter and spring weather conditions have anything to do with it (temperature ranges, precipitation levels, etc.).

I wonder if varying intensities of winter and spring weather conditions have anything to do with it (temperature ranges, precipitation levels, etc.).

Yes.

All of the above.

A grape vine's only ultimate purpose is to reproduce. That is, create as many tasty seed bearing berries as it can without dying for birds and other critters to eat which will spread the seeds there-in. The sugar content in the grape helps entice those critters to eat the berries. The vine is not interested in making a sugar content "ideal" for wine making. Thus, if weather conditions are good for a second round of berries, more the better for the vine, as that means more berries that some critter may eat and then spread seeds.

You, as a wine maker, have the job to reproductively frustrate the vines. You want a high enough sugar content in your grapes, which means you want the vine to put energy into that task, and not into making more, but less sugary berries.

So in short, cut off every single one of those late season clusters you see. They do nothing to help the wine making process. And in fact, make it more difficult.

Latest posts

Back