WineXpert Anyone else doing LE 16 Milagro?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnxbrown

Junior
Reaction score
Wanted some suggestions on what yeast to use. I was thinking of using BM 4x4 as it seems to be recommended for the bigger reds, and I also have some in my fridge... but I've never used it before so I don't know what to expect. Other choice would be RC 212 for the fruity quality. Didn't come with skins so I might throw some currants or raisins in there as well.

I started my Milagro two days ago and added:
1/2 a Mosti grape pack,
600gr bag of frozen raspberries, cherry, blackberry mix,
1tsp regular wine tannin,
1tsp FT Rouge tannin
RC212 (no EC1118)
The supplied Oak chips and bentonite.

I'm going to do an extended maceration of about 5-6wks as has been done by some other guys recently. I have done this on my last two kits and have noticed way less degassing is needed.

I like the idea of adding the fruit. I added some blueberry to a cheap pinot noir kit, but it's only a week in so I can't comment on the results yet. I'll also add some extra tannin, but I haven't heard of the Rouge tannin until now. I don't think any of my LHBS carry any but I'll see if they can order any in.

Hi,

I'm interested in this kit. I don't have any experience with red or Spanish wines, but I'd like to learn. Before I buy this kit, is there something commercially available that is similar that I could try?

Thanks,
Mike

Perhaps a Spanish Tempranillo or Grenache would give you an idea. To me the Milagro appears to be a bit fuller than a straight Tempranillo though.

At one month, it's pretty nice. It was fermented with skin and juice from mosti mondial and the tannins are nice. I added 2 sticks of american medium oak and i will forget it for a couple of month before bottling.

It's a blend of 5 different wines, so it might be hard to find something exactly the same:

"Three of Spain’s great red varieties, Tempranillo, Garnacha and Bobal bring their lush and hedonistic qualities to pair the full-bodied and well-structured friends Cabernet Sauvignon and Syrah."

I'll give those a try. I appreciate the suggestions.

Thanks,
Mike

Latest posts

Back