Other Anyone Adding Fruit to their Wine Kits?

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

MrWine

Junior
Reaction score
Hi there, I am very new to making wine. I am wanting to add a fruity flavour to my wine to enjoy during the summer months. I have been trying to do research to get some info on the matter. I have a Reflexion Pinot Grigio wine kit. I am wondering if I can simply clean the fruit and add it to the secondary?

Any info or help you can provide would be greatly appreciated

WVMountaineerJack

Reaction score
Not so sure its tricky vs just doing it with a little common sense to not throw the kit out of balance. Strawberries are one of the best to add, just drop them in whole or sliced at the end of the primary to give a lot more bouquet when you open the bottle. A few elderberries, dried or fresh and boost the color and add a little flavor. You have to be careful when you add really acidic fruits like raspberries, you dont want to throw the acid balance out of whack. WVMJ

Hi there, I am very new to making wine. I am wanting to add a fruity flavour to my wine to enjoy during the summer months. I have been trying to do research to get some info on the matter. I have a Reflexion Pinot Grigio wine kit. I am wondering if I can simply clean the fruit and add it to the secondary?

Any info or help you can provide would be greatly appreciated

bkisel

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum!

The last kit I did, an RJS VdV Italy Valpola, I reused, in primary, a grape skin pack from a previous high end kit and added 1 pound of raisins for 7 days in "secondary". Tried a sample just before going into bulk aging and liked what I tasted.

Last edited:

wildvines

Reaction score
My eclipse Pinot noir I added a pound of blackberries and 10g of tannins into my secondary. Ph was good and Came out awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

kevinlfifer

Reaction score
I have added 3 lb frozen blackberries to a cheap (paklab) Barolo, quite nice.
Mixed frozen berries to kits on a whim,
8oz Dried cherries to red zin,
Zante currants (tiny raisins) to nearly all low end kits,
3-4 bananas for body on occasion.

Experiment and take notes. Thats half the fun.

MrWine

Junior
Reaction score
So when you guy have been adding this fruit you don't have to sanitize it or do any "cleaning" of the fruit? I am guessing the alcohol level is high enough to keep the nasties away? I am informed more on this issue with beer then with wine.

dangerdave

Chief Bottlewasher
Reaction score
If it's fresh fruit, you definately want to dose it with k-meta to kill the nasties. Commercially purchased frozen fruit (or raisins or bananas) is ok without. Do you understand how to do this?

MrWine

Junior
Reaction score
If it's fresh fruit, you definately want to dose it with k-meta to kill the nasties. Commercially purchased frozen fruit (or raisins or bananas) is ok without. Do you understand how to do this?
No i am not familiar with k-meta

dangerdave

Chief Bottlewasher
Reaction score
Normally, I try to answer questions presented to me directly. However, the explanation for the applications and uses of potassium metabisulfite (k-meta) are lengthy. I would humbly suggest you do a search, either on WMT forum, or Google to read about it's proper usage.

Good luck, Mr.Wine!

Johnd

Large Member
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
Would you advise using canned cherries/ strawberries in a Chardonnay kit ?
Cherry / strawberry are not typically flavors associated with Chardonnay, so it wouldn’t be a “traditional” style.

That said, there are no rules, try it and see how you like the outcome.

Rice_Guy

Reaction score
Would you advise using canned cherries/ strawberries in a Chardonnay kit ?
Frozen fruit works better than canned. The canning process does a lot of flavor change.
Cherry has a high percentage of acid so sweetening may be required when finished. It seems too dominate flavor more than strawberries.

Rocky

Chronologically Gifted Member
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
I have added blackberries to Cabernet Sauvignon and to other red wines. I have also added green apples to Riesling. Prior to adding, I cored the apples, chopped them coarsely and cooked them down in some sugar and water. I have always been pleased with the results.

kevinlfifer

Reaction score
I have added both frozen and dried fruit to kits. A most recent success was a $40 Amazon kit, Valpolicella, I added 3 - 4oz bags of Aldi's dried mixed fruit. My wife loved it. All gone.

Rocky, I have to try the green apple tweak.

Rocky

Chronologically Gifted Member
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
I have added both frozen and dried fruit to kits. A most recent success was a $40 Amazon kit, Valpolicella, I added 3 - 4oz bags of Aldi's dried mixed fruit. My wife loved it. All gone.

Rocky, I have to try the green apple tweak.
Kevin, years ago when I was stationed in Germany, I had the opportunity to sample a lot of Riesling. I always got a hint of green apples (like a Granny Smith) in the wine. I have been able to approximate that taste with the green apple fruit pack. I think you will like it.

Chuck E

Supporting Members
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
I don't make kits, but I do on occasion buy concentrated juice, along with juice buckets. I always add fruit to my ferments. Sometimes fresh/frozen and sometimes dried. I find that it adds "body" to my wine. Putting pears in my Viognier was the best tweak so far.

Latest posts

Group Builder