Anybody with Loquat wine experience ?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I strained all the large chunks out. It is super fine lees.

Just mix the pectin enzyme with a small bit of the wine to dissolve it or just put in in ?

SG today. Approaching 1 week in secondary.
gallon 1 = 1.010
gallon 2 = 1.008

750 ml 1 = 1.002
750.ml 2 = 1.006 ( the less active bottle)

yeah I know, time for bigger carboys

the taste was all very similar. Not much fruit taste yet. Not a terrible taste though. Not as sharp as previous. These will definitely be getting a Backsweetening.

Just over a week in secondary. Still very active. I think the SG is right around 1.000
not sure. it was a rum drinking evening, so I had to squint to see numbers.

there is quite a bit of fine lees on the bottom. Not clearing much yet.

if I stick with the 1 - 3 - 3 method I’ve got 2 weeks to next racking.

I couldn’t stand that deep mess of lees in the bottle. The SG was .998 in one carboy and 1.000 in the other I went ahead and racked and about 1/2 of the lees appeared to be macerated loquat moosh.
I’ve still got 2 full gallons with enough to top off one more time if needed.

10 days later and very little clearing. I’m pretty sure I added some extra pectic enzyme. Gotta check notes. Might have to eventually clear this one somehow.
still dropping fine lees about 1/2 inch or more even after racking 10 days ago. Still quite active.

im content to let it go a while longer.

10 days later and very little clearing. I’m pretty sure I added some extra pectic enzyme. Gotta check notes. Might have to eventually clear this one somehow.
still dropping fine lees about 1/2 inch or more even after racking 10 days ago. Still quite active.

im content to let it go a while longer.
What is the SG? If it's 0.998 or lower, it's probably done and degassing. Give each carboy a good stir and wait a few days. Once the excess CO2 is gone, sediment will drop.

3 days later its steady at .996. Looks like fermentation is done.
it looked a little clearer in the small test glass, although the taste was not really remarkable. fruit smell but no fruit real fruit taste. Still a fair amount of lees, so I’ll rack one more time and then play around with Backsweetening in a few days.
Ph appears to be around 3.8.

Unremarkable taste. A bit sharp. Not really any flavor. Ph appears to be 3.6 or thereabouts. Still opaque, but a little clearer

gallon #1 received some Backsweetening and sorbate, I’ll stir it tomorrow some more and check flavor later in the day.

Well, the very light Backsweetening I did on the one gallon improved the taste remarkably. I didn’t taste the un-sweetened gallon since it wasn’t quite 9:00 am yet.

in the words of @winemaker81 “when backsweetening, if you think the wine needs just a bit more, stop. The wine probably doesn't, and once you've added sugar, it's really hard to take it out. ”

I’m not sure just yet. I don’t want it to taste sweet, I prefer it dry.

I’ll try it again in a day or 2. And I’ll try the coconut, and the mango….. :dg

Last edited:
I didn’t taste the un-sweetened gallon since it wasn’t quite 9:00 am yet.
It's after 5 PM in Dubai. You need to adjust to having a world economy. :p

As I mentioned in other threads, I've backsweetened from 0.990 to 0.994. That amount of sugar made a tremendous difference without producing a sweet wine.

It's after 5 PM in Dubai. You need to adjust to having a world economy. :p
I’m retired, I live in Florida, so anytime after 9:00 is fine, unless of course you go out for breakfast or have family visiting, then mimosas or Bloody Mary’s are OK anytime after 6:00 am.
it’s just that today is grocery shopping day, and I have to drive. 🙄

Slight clearing with pectic enzyme and stirring but still a bit cloudy. Might eventually have to treat with sparkoloid (unless @BigDaveK says loquats are positively charged +++) and then I have to decide ifi want to buy some bentonite for the coconut wine or just leave it to nature to decide.

Slight clearing with pectic enzyme and stirring but still a bit cloudy. Might eventually have to treat with sparkoloid (unless @BigDaveK says loquats are positively charged +++) and then I have to decide ifi want to buy some bentonite for the coconut wine or just leave it to nature to decide.
Well....
This was tough. Had to check in a round about way. I found A LOT of recipes for loquat wine and most of them used no fining agent at all, letting it clear on its own. Sounds like clearing will just be a matter of time.

However, I found one - just one - that used bentonite, which implies positively charged particles.

Again, since 99% of the recipes don't mention fining agents, I guess it's not an issue. Time.

Latest posts

Back