Anybody with Loquat wine experience ?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sparkoloid cleared the loquat wine up really nice. It’s got a nice amber color.

im pretty sure it’s going into bottles soon. I’ll do a little bit of tasting to make sure I’m happy and then I’ll show you “my pretty”

Sparkoloid cleared the loquat wine up really nice. It’s got a nice amber color.

im pretty sure it’s going into bottles soon. I’ll do a little bit of tasting to make sure I’m happy and then I’ll show you “my pretty”
EDIT - One gallon cleared way more than the other. The second was clearer but not crystal clear.

don’t know if it was all sparkoloid related or maybe a combination of time and fining agents. In hindsight should have waited till I had bentonite to add to the other and compare.
no worries. Taste was very nice. Dry but pleasant dry. Backsweetened enough for a slight aroma and pleasant taste.

im thinking this will definitely improve with age.

How long before the sparkoloid finishes dropping solids out. It looked incredibly clear but it was settling out wispy bits a few days after treatment. When will it be safe to bottle ?

I've only used it twice for Dragon Blood. I know we're not comparing apples to apples but the DB was crystal clear in 3 days. It was a PITA, though, because I used a glass carboy and a lot of sediment settled on the ribs. I had to swirl the heck out of it and wait another couple days.

How long before the sparkoloid finishes dropping solids out. It looked incredibly clear but it was settling out wispy bits a few days after treatment. When will it be safe to bottle ?
I haven't used sparkaloid in decades, but recalled that the final wisps took weeks to settle. Give it another couple of weeks.

At this stage in my winemaking career it’s not really “effort”. More of a “wow, I made wine that tastes like wine”. I’m not looking for sweet fruity flavor I want a dryer wine that you can tell was made with fruit I guess. But yes loquat flavor is something else yumm.
Plus the fact that I have plenty of loquats. I made jam a few years ago but you can only eat so much jam. Wine on the other hand…..
So how did it go and what did you do? I have a bumper crop growing on my tree this year

So how did it go and what did you do? I have a bumper crop growing on my tree this year
It is a nice balanced dry wine. several months ago I made a 75% loquat 25% mango wine. It was better than the 100% loquat. I’m going to look at my notes for the recipe I followed. I picked and peeled as they ripened and put them in the freezer until I had more than enough.

I used 8 lbs of loquat 1.5 lbs of frozen mango, 6 pounds of sugar.yes it took 6 pounds to get the SG close to 1.09 2.2 gallons water. Might try some pear juice instead.

Last edited:
It is a nice balanced dry wine. several months ago I made a 75% loquat 25% mango wine. It was better than the 100% loquat. I’m going to look at my notes for the recipe I followed. I picked and peeled as they ripened and put them in the freezer until I had more than enough.

I used 8 lbs of loquat 1.5 lbs of frozen mango, 6 pounds of sugar.yes it took 6 pounds to get the SG close to 1.09 2.2 gallons water. Might try some pear juice instead.
Thank you I may try the mango and the pear. Was considering a small batch with some strawberries. I have a huge tree. This will make how much wine. I am a beginner. I blew my first batch in 2021 and have only made kits since. I get so many loquats I dont want to waste any and I will still share many. What yeast did you use?

I use ec1118 almost exclusively. Bulletproof. The 8 pounds made a 3 gallon batch. Probably need 2 to 3 pounds per gallon. They don’t make a lot of liquid by themselves that’s why I think pear juice might go well. I had a lot of loquats too last year. Thisyear after the hurricane I got about 10 loquats total from 2 trees.

Latest posts

Back