RJ Spagnols Any Words of Wisdom?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GTS

Reaction score
I will be starting a Grand Cru Liebfraumilch kit this weekend. It is my intention to follow the instructions to the letter. Has anyone had any experience with this kit?

Thanks.

I made their Gewertztraminer and followed the directions to a T. Wonderful stuff. I do realize they are different varietals but the Gwertz and Leib for me are so wonderfully similar.

It was good early and VERY good after six months to a year.

If you can read and understand the directions you will have good wine. Oh yea you need Patience.

I did the Wine Expert Selection Orginal liebfraumilch and it was fanastic we are going to do another one real soon . I did see the Grand Cru kit and thought about making it but think we will do the WE one again . I was thinking about trying one of the cheaper kits of liebfraumilch so I can let the other age more without us getting into it . Has anyone done the cheaper kits that could tell me which they liked best ,I can get Wine expert & Grand Cru and Vino del Vida in town and the others I can get in the city an hour away . GTS you will have to let us know what you think once you get yours made .

Thanks for all the comments.
I will be sure and post my opinions/comments as the process goes forward.

GTS:

I haven't made that kit for myself, but I made many Grand Cru kits (and some were Liebfraumilches) when I ran a Ferment on Premises store. Basically follow the instructions, but don't be afraid to extend the time frames once the wine is in a carboy. It will only get better. (That's Tom's patience.)

Steve

Finally found time this morning to get the Liebfraumilch kit started. Just took a quick look and it appears to be happily bubbling away. I thought the kit instructions were excellent, direct and to the point. The juice smelled great, should make a tasty wine.

Just a quick update, made it down to 0.996 in 8 days. Will move to a carboy tonight to finish.

Well, my first wine kit is in the bottles, and I must say that I am quite pleased with the results. Just to save you a trip back to the first post, it was a RJS Grand Cru Liebfraumilch kit. I have been making wine with fruit for some time, but this "fast tract" process was sort of fascinating to me. I just could not get my head wrapped around the idea that an acceptable wine could be bottled in just 4 weeks, although I did let mine sit a little longer than that, 4 weeks would have been OK. I now stand corrected. Being one of the lower priced 4 week kits, it is, as I have learned, a little shy on body, but good nonetheless. This one was for my wife, who prefers a slightly sweet white wine. I already have a RJS Grand Cru International Malbec w/grape skins in the on deck circle. However, the local muscadines are ready, and the Malbec will have to wait a while.

Greg

Glad you liked it and remember even the cheap kits taste better once they have aged a bit .

Latest posts

Back