Quantcast

RJ Spagnols Any Words of Wisdom?

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

GTS

Reaction score
I will be starting a Grand Cru Liebfraumilch kit this weekend. It is my intention to follow the instructions to the letter. Has anyone had any experience with this kit?

Thanks.

Runningwolf

Super Moderator
WMT Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I have not made the Grand Cru but I made the Wine Expert and followed the directions and it turned out real good.

Green Mountains

Reaction score
I made their Gewertztraminer and followed the directions to a T. Wonderful stuff. I do realize they are different varietals but the Gwertz and Leib for me are so wonderfully similar.

It was good early and VERY good after six months to a year.

Tom

Reaction score
If you can read and understand the directions you will have good wine. Oh yea you need Patience.

Runningwolf

Super Moderator
WMT Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
If you can read and understand the directions you will have good wine. Oh yea you need Patience.
Tom I don't understand what you're saying here, can you explain? Pictures maybe? :d

Tom

Reaction score
Well we all knoe U heve NO patience

NSwiner

Reaction score
I did the Wine Expert Selection Orginal liebfraumilch and it was fanastic we are going to do another one real soon . I did see the Grand Cru kit and thought about making it but think we will do the WE one again . I was thinking about trying one of the cheaper kits of liebfraumilch so I can let the other age more without us getting into it . Has anyone done the cheaper kits that could tell me which they liked best ,I can get Wine expert & Grand Cru and Vino del Vida in town and the others I can get in the city an hour away . GTS you will have to let us know what you think once you get yours made .

GTS

Reaction score
Thanks for all the comments.
I will be sure and post my opinions/comments as the process goes forward.

cpfan

Reaction score
GTS:

I haven't made that kit for myself, but I made many Grand Cru kits (and some were Liebfraumilches) when I ran a Ferment on Premises store. Basically follow the instructions, but don't be afraid to extend the time frames once the wine is in a carboy. It will only get better. (That's Tom's patience.)

Steve

GTS

Reaction score
Finally found time this morning to get the Liebfraumilch kit started. Just took a quick look and it appears to be happily bubbling away. I thought the kit instructions were excellent, direct and to the point. The juice smelled great, should make a tasty wine.

GTS

Reaction score
Just a quick update, made it down to 0.996 in 8 days. Will move to a carboy tonight to finish.

GTS

Reaction score
Well, my first wine kit is in the bottles, and I must say that I am quite pleased with the results. Just to save you a trip back to the first post, it was a RJS Grand Cru Liebfraumilch kit. I have been making wine with fruit for some time, but this "fast tract" process was sort of fascinating to me. I just could not get my head wrapped around the idea that an acceptable wine could be bottled in just 4 weeks, although I did let mine sit a little longer than that, 4 weeks would have been OK. I now stand corrected. Being one of the lower priced 4 week kits, it is, as I have learned, a little shy on body, but good nonetheless. This one was for my wife, who prefers a slightly sweet white wine. I already have a RJS Grand Cru International Malbec w/grape skins in the on deck circle. However, the local muscadines are ready, and the Malbec will have to wait a while.

Greg

Tom

Reaction score
GREAT !
Now welocome to the obsession !

NSwiner

Reaction score
Glad you liked it and remember even the cheap kits taste better once they have aged a bit .

Latest posts