Any tips for removing wine bottle labels?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I soak in the hottest water I can with some dish soap. the labels from most local PA winery's comes off with in an hour or less. I scrub with a stainless steel scrubber to get all the paper and glue off. Some more big commercial wines and some labels in general are just a pain and leave glue goop... then its time for goo gone and a rewash

I agree! A stainless steel scrubber works great to remove glue residue, etc. Most labels will soak off, but for those that won't, I use a razor blade scraper.

Have some empties I have been saving up and was wondering if anyone has any easy peasy tricks for getting labels off. I was thinking of soaking like 3 or so at a time in a five gallon bucket with some sanitizer, thought that might help, but I am sure it has been done before, so, thought I would ask......Thanks in advance!!

I’ve been using the tool called labinator. Works fairly decent curvicture fits most bottles
Gabe

I tried something new this week.

I usually use Oxiclean, but if left them soaking to long the bottles developed a mineral like crusty film inside and out that required use of the bottle brush on every bottle. There was always some bottles with the sticky residue requiring charcoal lighter fluid to remove.

I used Dawn. I first drew the very hot water (3/4 of the laundry tub sink), then added 1/4 cup Dawn, that way no massive build up of bubbles. Sank the bottles and let them set 12 hrs, All the glue turned into a white slime. Not a single bottle needed solvent.

Depending on the type of label that was put in the bottle, I try to slowly remove them first. If you're careful, they'll often come off in one piece. If not, then leave them on. I then get the sink full with warm water and some PBW. Softens everything going right up. Then use a plastic scraper to remove the labels. Then use a plastic scrubby (scouring pads for cleaning dishes) and that takes off any remaining glue. Some bottles are really easy, other labels a little tougher.. ..

I find me technique changes depending on the label, but kitchen sink, warm water, PBW, knife, plastic scraper and scrubby are my tools of choice.

PBW and warm water are the key to softening glue and labels!

I tried something new this week.

I usually use Oxiclean, but if left them soaking to long the bottles developed a mineral like crusty film inside and out that required use of the bottle brush on every bottle. There was always some bottles with the sticky residue requiring charcoal lighter fluid to remove.

I used Dawn. I first drew the very hot water (3/4 of the laundry tub sink), then added 1/4 cup Dawn, that way no massive build up of bubbles. Sank the bottles and let them set 12 hrs, All the glue turned into a white slime. Not a single bottle needed solvent.

Really!? I like this idea. I have always used PBW or oxyclean (very similar). Never thought to use Dawn. I'll try anything once!

Have some empties I have been saving up and was wondering if anyone has any easy peasy tricks for getting labels off. I was thinking of soaking like 3 or so at a time in a five gallon bucket with some sanitizer, thought that might help, but I am sure it has been done before, so, thought I would ask......Thanks in advance!!

I fill the bottle with boiling water just past the top of the label(s) and wait about two minutes. The labels peel off easily. Hold the neck of the bottle with a hot pad for safety's sake. There will be some residual glue, which is easy to rub off with a paper towel with some cooking oil on it. The advantage to this is that you don't get the labels wet and there's less mess.

The method of heating the bottles in the oven at 350 degrees works, too, but the bottles are more difficult to handle at 350 degrees than they are at less than 212 degrees.

Back