Any tips for removing wine bottle labels?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'v a victim of OCD I guess. I just like it to look all the same. Color only so far as the type of wine 'normally' bottled in that color. Since I allow plenty of time to gather bottles for a batch from the recycling center, I can start when the batch starts into fermentation and have a year to get the bottles cleaned sorted and figure out my label.

LOL Nothing wrong with good organization and symmetry......so my wife tells me. I don't have enough bottles to get quite that "particular" - dark for reds, clear for whites is about as OCD as I get. ;-)
Going to the recycling center is a good idea - might look into that.

LOL Nothing wrong with good organization and symmetry......so my wife tells me. I don't have enough bottles to get quite that "particular" - dark for reds, clear for whites is about as OCD as I get. ;-)
Going to the recycling center is a good idea - might look into that.

After my bottles are prepped, I'll sort them by type and color.

Brown Bordeaux
Green Bordeaux
Brown Burgundy
Clear Bordeaux
Miscellaneous

Then, I sanitize them before use. I'd like to say I have a system. But, it's just short of mayhem.

Well the real fun begins when have started filling bottles and notice that the next bottle up to be filled is different from the rest! The OCD condition kicks in and I'm off and running to find one more bottle that matches the rest of the ones I'm filling. Does it really matter, meh, no but it keeps the day interesting. That's the one thing I try to do as I get close to bottling day. Go through the bottles, select the ones for this batch and make sure they all match, are the all clean inside and out? Then give them one more rinse with sanitizer and let them dry until bottling day. Now and then I find a little label residue and I either clean that off before the final rinse, or decide that the label will cover it up making it meaningless.

The other 'fun' part is actually putting labels on the bottles. Occasionally I find that the bottle curve (Top to bottom) make the label wrinkle unless the label is place very carefully. Sometimes I have to just let it happen.

LOL I guess I don't have that big of a selection of bottles yet, plus most of my batches are small, so bottle matching is easier. And on the List Of Things To Worry About - I think matching bottles comes in around #347.
As for the wrinkling labeling issue - I've had that. Those sloping shoulder bottles don't have as big a "flat spot" for the label. And I use some sparkling wine bottles that have a REAL small label area. I just use a different label and re-size or re-design it to fit. God bless the home computer.
I have just started using a label from Avery that is removable and it really IS removable. Peels right off in 1 piece w/o any residue on the bottle at all. It's a beautiful thing. Avery # 22827 - they are about $.50 per label, but they go on and come off really easy. I don't know if they are available in bulk.
I also made an adjustable "bottle cradle" for putting on the labels...........but now I'm wandering off topic again. ;-)

Have some empties I have been saving up and was wondering if anyone has any easy peasy tricks for getting labels off. I was thinking of soaking like 3 or so at a time in a five gallon bucket with some sanitizer, thought that might help, but I am sure it has been done before, so, thought I would ask......Thanks in advance!!

Soak in a 6 gallon bucket of hot water with B-Brite for 24 hours. Refill with hot water the next day to soften the glue again and scrape off with a butter knife. Some labels will fall right off and some will be more stubborn. Any residue can be removed with a paper towel with mineral spirits on it. Just make sure to keep the mineral spirits away from the opening on the bottle. I have heard people use brillo pads with some success to get the residue off also but I have not tried that method yet. Good luck!

For scraping labels I generally use a paint scraper (One that holds a single edged razor blade.) That sharp edge works well as long as you use common sense. You might look into making yourself a little support bracket to brace the bottles against as you scrape them.
BUT first things first:
1) See if the label will dry peel without shredding. Some will, most will not but even if you just get the top layer off that shorten your next step . (Anytime you find a label you can peel off totally dry, make a note of that brand!)
2) Soak the bottles in hot water with B-Brite or Oxyclean. Remember that this is not a one step process, you will most likely have to do two scrapings or peel by hand the top layer and scrape the adhesive layer.
3) Rinse, Rinse, Rinse. ANY soap or Oxyclean or any thing you use to help with label removal needs to be be long gone before your declare victory and store the bottles or fill with wine.
4) Start early. Generally I try to locate bottles for a batch as soon as possible after I start the wine. (We who suffer from some OCD like to be on top of these things.) Doing that means you have plenty of time to get the labels off, rinse, and let the bottle set while you design a label that befitting both the wine and the bottle.

Last edited:
For the stubborn glue remnants I read a tip here a while back that worked amazing. Might even be this thread actually After the whole soak and scrape- rub on oil- ANY oil. Let sit for a minute. Remove that stubborn glue with anything- I just used a coarse sponge with vegetable oil. Worked like a charm.

Getting back to the original question.
It comes down to effort.
I have used my pressure washer at the end of the summer and cleaned like 30 cases of bottles by the curb.
The neighbors think I am crazy.
So that gets the paper off but not all of the glue.

So the next topic is glue.
Crap, so I am a glue guy, I have 15 kinds of glue in my shop, I can fix darn near anything.
But why oh why do wineries use glue with a 5 ton tensile strength that can hold a roof on a house in a hurricane.
If the glue doesn't come off pretty darn easily, then toss the bottle.
It's not like bottles are a limited commodity.

I mean, what do we know for sure?
Your friends are lushes just like we are.
So they can just bring you more bottles.

Or, hmm, buy more wine. Not saying I do that, but...

Cheers

I'm a total newbie here and also to the wine making. I've tried most of the soaking methods, and found them frustrating. For me, this is the fastest way I've found to remove labels.
1. Take a sharp utility knife and scrap off the paper label (emphases on sharp)
2. spray the remaining glue with WD40 and let it set for a few minutes
3. Take a fine steelwool pad and remove the glue.
4. Wash the bottle with what ever.
WD40 is made from fish oil, there is nothing in it that will harm you.

Hi @DougL Good to have another Doug around and congratulations on your first post. I like your removal method, however just Wd40 does not have fish oil in it. That is a debunked urban legend. Also afaik, the formula for wd40 is not public and it is not edible. It is flammable though.

if you wouldn't eat or drink it, beware of using it in or around you wine. Most of all be sure ALL traces are removed of it before it gets near your wine. Many speak of the dangers of oxiclean, but again with sufficient rinsing and using follow-on standard dish washing soap, rinses and then sanitizer, you should be safe.
I just would be very cautious about using any oily or petroleum products even for cleaning the outside of a bottle. They have a way of lingering around. And really, for me at least, there are so many empty bottles at the recycling center that I don't need to deal with the difficult labels, move on to one that come off easier.

(Any bottle with a 'clear' background, I avoid for that same reason, "Many fish in the sea" to chose from.)

I have a great method, not sure if it's been mentioned.

Water reaches boiling point at around 212F, so I lay the bottles in a cold oven and set it to 225F. Set a timer for 20 minutes and walk away. When I come back, I use a pot holder to grab the neck of the bottle and my finger nails to just grab the labels and peel them right off. No mess, no trouble. Easy. Just make sure you keep them hot in the oven while they're waiting to get peeled, else the labels will cool too fast and not come off.

Then all the bottles go in a hot bath of oxyclean (scent and dye free) to soak another 20 minutes. Laundry room sink is golden for this. Labels that didn't come off in the oven (there are the rare few) come right off in the oxy bath. An old credit card does the trick for the .01% of gunk that is resistant to both methods.

Hope that helps.

As mentioned by another member, I use a paint scraper with replaceable blades...do be very careful and always scrape away from you and the hand that is holding the bottle. I wear heavy rubber gloves (like you'd wear when cleaning the house or washing dishes) and they have saved me from a near cut and help me to keep my grip on the slippery bottles. I soak about 10 bottles at a time in a sink full of very hot water with just a drop or two of clear non-scented biodegradable dish washing soap (no particular brand...check anywhere that sells dish washing liquid). I only soak about 5 or 10 minutes, and begin to scrape while the bottles are still very hot to touch; this is where the heavy rubber gloves are essential, as otherwise the glass would be too hot to hold. With some labels I am able to get the blade under the edge and slowly push and lift the label at the same time and it comes off all in one piece. Some labels float off in the hot water (LOVE those!). Others are a real hassle and come off in pieces with lots of scraping. I truly believe that heating the glass with the very hot water and working with the bottles while still hot is the key, as this softens most adhesives. I've tried dry scraping at room temp and it is very messy and leaves the adhesive behind. After I've gotten the labels off I make a pass with a bottle brush then shake the hot soapy water really well in the bottle and empty it. Once I have a box of about 15 or so I rinse with clear water using a pressurized bottle rinser that screws onto a traditional faucet, drain on a bottle tree, then sanitize all of the bottles just prior to bottling. The only time that I use unscented Oxyclean is when there is visible mold remaining in a bottle after I've done the initial soapy hot water wash and tried to remove it using a bottle brush. If I have enough spare bottles, I forgo the Oxyclean and just toss the moldy bottle in the trash and move on. If using Oxyclean, I rinse several times with hot water and again with the pressure bottle washer to be sure that there is no residue before proceeding to drying and sanitizing. As I'm sure all will agree, label removing/bottle washing is the most labor intensive part of the whole winemaking process, and the least pleasant. I'd probably purchase new bottles if I lived in an area that had a supply store nearby, but right now all of my supplies must be shipped and the nearest supplier charges $30 per box of 12 bottles for shipping...and I am not exaggerating the shipping cost. The hubby says I need to open a supply store here; it's tempting.

1. Boiling water into the bottle to the top of the label. Avoid getting the label wet. Let set a few minutes. Leaving the hot water in the bottle, the label will peel off on most bottles leaving a small amount of glue.
2. If some of the label remains, pour boiling water on it and scrape.
3. Remove glue with Krud and plastic coarse mesh scouring pad with hot water still in bottle. After glue is loosened, wipe with dish clothe.
yes, you need to handle with care but it works

boiling water and Krud having proven the most effective.

Very useful thread!

Some wine (and beer) brands use labels and glue which are easily and completely removed after an overnight soak in plain cold water. When you have done this enough to recognize a few preferred brands, make a list of those. Don't pick up or accept any others. That greatly reduces time-consuming scraping, chemicals, solvents, washing and rinsing.

I now reject burgundy bottles (tapered neck, no shoulder, larger diameter, require more rack space for wine storage) in favor of bordeaux style, with shoulder. I also reject those with larger external diameter at the opening (shrink capsules won't fit over these). And I absolutely reject any threaded bottles, because whether you replace the old aluminum cap, or buy a new one, they still often leak. That does not happen with corks.

@Evan_J leave those burgundy bottles for me! I am just too anal to put Pinot, Chardonnay etc in a Boudreaux! Wouldn’t taste right (yeah I know it’s mental!)

Latest posts

Back