Any one have idea about this bottle ? I can’t find any info online about it.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maxwell360

Junior
Reaction score
Mysterious bottle.

Attachments

• 7021AEE4-0967-4820-BC03-DB21B7BD5EF3.jpeg
    7021AEE4-0967-4820-BC03-DB21B7BD5EF3.jpeg
    1,016.3 KB · Views: 79
It's a German wine, probably a Reisling, late picked from Bernkastel on the Mosel river. Lovely wines from that area.

It is (was?) a high-level wine (Qualitätswein mit Prädikat is the highest designation in German wine). It was estate-bottled.

I am not sure I agree with @winemanden that this is a late-harvest wine. I think perhaps he is confusing Auslese (select harvest) with Spätlese (late harvest)? A QmP, auslese wine from this region is typically sweet or off-dry.

also sweet it says 1971 is there any wine in the bottle? maybe oxidized by now
I attended a wine tasting where they explained the process of having a bunch of barrels stacked on top of each other and as the wine ages, they move it around between the barrels. The oldest barrels are on the bottom. This means that you end up with a little bit of really old wine in each batch, and therefore they label it to reference the oldest batch.

I can't remember the name of the process, but if the pictured bottle is from a batch that follows that process, it may be recently bottled.

It is (was?) a high-level wine (Qualitätswein mit Prädikat is the highest designation in German wine). It was estate-bottled.

I am not sure I agree with @winemanden that this is a late-harvest wine. I think perhaps he is confusing Auslese (select harvest) with Spätlese (late harvest)? A QmP, auslese wine from this region is typically sweet or off-dry.
You're right of course. Spatelese is late harvest, Auslese is selected late harvest. Yes it is sweet.
Jovimaple, was that wine tasting in Spain? If so that is the Sherry Solera system.

That sounds about right for the name.

No, the wine tasting was a virtual one so it was in my house! :) It was California wines, but the person running the tasting mentioned the process in response to someone's question, I believe.

You're right of course. Spatelese is late harvest, Auslese is selected late harvest. Yes it is sweet.
Jovimaple, was that wine tasting in Spain? If so that is the Sherry Solera system.

No, you are right! I did not know that Auslese implied "late, select." I thought it was only "select." If I had known that, I certainly would not have made a "correction." :slp

As for the solera system: as far as I know, such beverages are labeled N.V. (non-vintage), not with the year of oldest wine.

Latest posts

Back