Wine Kitz Any kits for rose'?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C2D36550-2DAE-479A-A12D-45F9B3E2B10D.jpeg
I suspect that my Tropical Bliss- White Zinfandell kit will come out similar to a Rose' wine? It has that light smell and light color plus the fpac's a hint of strawberry pink.
I just finished that kit, yes nice rose’ wine and great tasting too

My color is close to that but uncleared as yet. Note that I placed 1/2 the fpac in my primary and a 1/2 liter of grape concentrate too. So far my s.g. numbers are spot on and just stirred in the yeast nutrient other day. I also began primary one gallon short of water.
Your "review" is what result? Thanks

My color is close to that but uncleared as yet. Note that I placed 1/2 the fpac in my primary and a 1/2 liter of grape concentrate too. So far my s.g. numbers are spot on and just stirred in the yeast nutrient other day. I also began primary one gallon short of water.
Your "review" is what result? Thanks
I have to ask, but why put 1/2 of fpac in primary? I made a few changes, first was increasing OG to 1.100 with corn sugar (dextrose), added Bentonite after fermentation right before stabilizing. I got a full 6 gallons from the kit. This has to be the best tasting kit so far. Cleared quickly, nice soft color, wife is really happy and I’m sure it will be better in a few months.

I read all reviews from both sellers(Northern Brewer & Midwest) and saw where one guy had screwed up and put the fpac in the primary and liked the result. I also tasted the fpac and felt the flavor was so mild to be negligible in the bottle as some reviews have said there was no actual strawberries taste in the fpack. I was using it and the grape concentrate as an abv booster. Your approach makes more sense though to use as intended and boost primary for abv then, perhaps, adjust flavor with an even better homemade fpac from real berries.
I didn't say I knew what I was doing...HA! My wife is a Beringers Main Street White Zinfandel lover-this is my attempt to replicate that which I suspect mine will be a lighter flavor touch?

Adding some of the fpack up front accomplishes a few things, first being that the flavors get “baked in” a little differently than when added post fermentation. Secondly, the additional sugars in the fpack increase the ultimate ABV of the wine. Third, it reduces the amount of sugar added to the wine at the end, many feel that the whole fpack makes the wine too sweet and syrupy.

Honestly, in tasting this fpac when opened it was far more a sweet syrup than having enough flavor to change 25-30 btls of wine much on my tastebuds? That's when I decide it was gonna bump my abv in part using 1/2. That and the grape concentrate got me to a storage safe abv level per my SG bulb. I do wonder if a bit of commercial flavored wine @ bottling could get this wine to the flavor I'd prefer-that's only if I find it too weak in taste.

Honestly, in tasting this fpac when opened it was far more a sweet syrup than having enough flavor to change 25-30 btls of wine much on my tastebuds? That's when I decide it was gonna bump my abv in part using 1/2. That and the grape concentrate got me to a storage safe abv level per my SG bulb. I do wonder if a bit of commercial flavored wine @ bottling could get this wine to the flavor I'd prefer-that's only if I find it too weak in taste.

Just remember what it sounds like you bought, if it's truly akin to a rose', it's not going to be some super-flavorful bomb explosion of fruity tastes in your mouth. There are kits with fpacks that do that, just sounds like this isn't one of them...........

I suspect that my Tropical Bliss- White Zinfandell kit will come out similar to a Rose' wine? It has that light smell and light color plus the fpac's a hint of strawberry pink.
I find that White Zin is too sweet for my taste. I have a batch of French Rose Wine Kit - RJS Cru International under way. Will report ASAP. There is also [URL='http://www.midwestsupplies.com/rjs-en-primeur-chilean-pinot-noir-rose']Chilean Pinot Noir Ros Wine Kit - RJS En Primeur , but rather pricey[/URL]

Just remember what it sounds like you bought, if it's truly akin to a rose', it's not going to be some super-flavorful bomb explosion of fruity tastes in your mouth. There are kits with fpacks that do that, just sounds like this isn't one of them...........
He said earlier that he got the Tropical Bliss kit...I wouldn't think that is anything like a true rose? I thought that would be like the IM kits, which I thought were "fruit bombs"? Although putting half the f-pack in the primary may lessen that some...

He said earlier that he got the Tropical Bliss kit...I wouldn't think that is anything like a true rose? I thought that would be like the IM kits, which I thought were "fruit bombs"? Although putting half the f-pack in the primary may lessen that some...

I agree, which is why I said that if it is like a true rose', that it wouldn't be a fruit bomb. I don't know if it is or not, but the title of the thread is "Any Kits for Rose'? Also, below is from post #101 above, not my quote, but based off of them, it seems to produce a rose' like wine, not a fruit bomb:

Kantuckid said: "I suspect that my Tropical Bliss- White Zinfandell kit will come out similar to a Rose' wine? It has that light smell and light color plus the fpac's a hint of strawberry pink."

Farmside said: "I just finished that kit, yes nice rose’ wine and great tasting too"

I have never done a Tropical bliss kit or any similar kits, but aren't these "fruit/wine drinks" rather than wine in the traditional meaning?

Someone said "a true rose´" earlier in the thread. A true rose´ to me is a traditional dry Provence style wine made by pressing red grapes, with the color coming from a short skin contact. Not a sweet drink (not saying it's a bad thing). but if your reference point is a sweet white Zinfandel or a Blush, I can see your point.

Sailor- I live near in the Red River Gorge.
The difference in a dry Rose' wine and white Zinfandel is sweetness as stated above.
Read the history on Sutter Home Wines discovery of White Zinfandel which tells that storyas to how it became a popular choice.
Call this wine I have under way whatever you wish but it is not Boones Farm? I boosted the sugar on mine in primary to the point of a potential much higher alcohol than a so-called "drink". I've read several ABV;s for this kit, the seller suggesting in a chat response 8%, while other reviews are more like 10-12%. I should be ~ 12% or so.
I see talk of "Summer wines" which I assume makes reference to a refreshing hot weather wine/drink not a real category of wine? My guess is the kit builder used White Zinfandell concentrate with addition of the various fpacs in a bunch of Tropical Bliss kit choices. I've made White Zin kits and seems the same juice tio me.
In Europe we have seen far more Rose' wine choices than the USA. And a few were off dry and some fizzy others not. Either way they make a great lunch snack with some REAL Euro bread and cheese.
My wine has come close to degassing S.G. but in only two days after adding the yeast nutrient? Kits says ~ 6-14 days at this point and I'm only 9 days total into primary ferment. I got 1.005 yesterday! Degass is @ .998 or lower which is close at hand. Temperatures are in A/C and always works OK in my experience.
Nutrient must have kicked things up? The "stuff" smells delicious and looks like what Farmside made above.

I'm curious to learn how that Rose' kit comes off? I considered similar and perhaps a tad of back sweeten to make us like it better. I've had Rose' I liked and others that were sort of not enough flavor for my tongue to play with. More buzz than taste lets say.

I'm curious to learn how that Rose' kit comes off? I considered similar and perhaps a tad of back sweeten to make us like it better. I've had Rose' I liked and others that were sort of not enough flavor for my tongue to play with. More buzz than taste lets say.

RJS has another Rose that I haven’t tried (a Chilean Pinot Noir EP). But, the RJS Cru International French Rose is a better wine than the WE Sauv Blanc Rose. It became less kittish more quickly. With the added strawberries and a little backsweetening, it’s light and fruity with decent body... it makes Mrs Mann very happy.

RJS has another Rose that I haven’t tried (a Chilean Pinot Noir EP). But, the RJS Cru International French Rose is a better wine than the WE Sauv Blanc Rose. It became less kittish more quickly. With the added strawberries and a little backsweetening, it’s light and fruity with decent body... it makes Mrs Mann very happy.
I'm thinking that what makes Mrs Mann very happy, will also make me happy. I won't back sweeten, as I like dry. Going to give this a try. I made the WE Sauvignon Blanc Rose, and while it's ok, I'm not that thrilled.

What about WE Pink Pinot Grigio, anyone done that kit? Even though it's an off-dry kit, that could be handled leaving the f-pack out.

What about WE Pink Pinot Grigio, anyone done that kit? Even though it's an off-dry kit, that could be handled leaving the f-pack out.
I made it and it's a nice kit. The fpack will give it the Rose color, otherwise it's just Pinot Grigio. I usually split fpacks, but saved this one to the end, as it did not taste as sweet as others. The wine tasted a little more sweet than I liked, but after aging several months, it has a soft off dry taste, it is mellow and very pleasant. If I made this again, I would probably only add part of the fpack, as I like dry wine.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back