Wine Kitz Any kits for rose'?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wayne Freeman

Reaction score
Hi, I've been looking for a kit to make a rose' with. Maybe it's just me, but I can't seem to find anything that comes close, except for some vendors that offer white zinfandel kits.

Now, as a wine drinker, I've never found white zinfandels to be even remotely drinkable, so I'm very skeptical that any white zinfandel kit would produce anything worthwhile.

Does anyone know of any rose' kits, or failing that, has anyone ever been able to tweak a white zinfandel kit in some way that would result in a decent rose'?

It has always puzzled me why white zinfandels are so terrible when zinfandel is such a nice red (I'm a pretty big zinfandel fan).

i made this Rose last year and as soon as I bottled it, i ordered another kit. The colour and taste has made this a summer fav of ours

cheers

EN PRIMEUR WINERY SERIES

Pinot Noir Rosé

Bursting with the aromas and flavours of strawberry jam, complimented by raspberries, rhubarb and floral notes. Juicy on the palate, it's exquisitely balanced with a luxuriously smooth mouthfeel.

Food Pairings
Sip on its own, or savour with planked salmon, grilled chicken or ripe Brie cheese.

I just bottle my third version of this kit. I believe there is a limited edition or preorder Merlot rose out there as well from RJS. I have one on order but not received it yet. one shortcut is use a white wine you like and blend a red to color and taste for a rose.

It has always puzzled me why white zinfandels are so terrible when zinfandel is such a nice red (I'm a pretty big zinfandel fan).

Me too, but I always assumed it was just the horrible, cloying sweetness. I haven't done it, but I imagine if a white zin were allowed to ferment dry, it would be passable.

I've made two Rose wines. WE Selection Sauvignon Blanc Rose, added fpak upfront so it is completely dry, and WE Selection Pink Pinot Grigio, added fpak at end, so it just slightly off dry. Both very nice.

i made this Rose last year and as soon as I bottled it, i ordered another kit. The colour and taste has made this a summer fav of ours

cheers

EN PRIMEUR WINERY SERIES

Pinot Noir Rosé

Bursting with the aromas and flavours of strawberry jam, complimented by raspberries, rhubarb and floral notes. Juicy on the palate, it's exquisitely balanced with a luxuriously smooth mouthfeel.

Food Pairings
Sip on its own, or savour with planked salmon, grilled chicken or ripe Brie cheese.
Is this Rose dry?

The En Primeur Pinot Noir is dry and very good. Everyone loved it. It's actually a better than some $15-$20 bottles I've had. 100% recommended and a good deal at about $6/bottle. Going to make again for this summer. I followed the instructions exactly and bottled as instructed. I don't age in carboy due to space limitations. Onl needs 6-7 months of aging after bottling.

Me too, but I always assumed it was just the horrible, cloying sweetness. I haven't done it, but I imagine if a white zin were allowed to ferment dry, it would be passable.
Anyone tried fermenting WE's Selection White Zinfandel dry, who cares to share what the outcome was taste wise?

Bringing this thread back after 4 months.

I was in search of a good Rose for Mrs. Mann and wound up picking up a RJS Cru International French Rose. It was delivered yesterday and I'm planning to start it this weekend. It's a dry Rose (with notes of strawberry and citrus - right in her wine-wheelhouse) that should finish with a 13% ABV instead of the off-dry trashy, summer, poolside mist kits I usually do that I boost to 11% or so... not that there's anything wrong with mist kits at all.

The RJS is a 12L kit with no particular extras to my knowledge - no flavor pack, no oak. We're getting a late start on our summer wine this year. So, I'm planning a 'quick ferment, quick clear, degas for three months and bottle' kind of wine. I usually skip the sorbate with my dry wines. Given that we usually demolish our summer wines by late September, and my wine making hygiene is pretty good, I'm toying with the idea of skipping the Kmeta too (maybe not entirely, I'm talking about that dose we do just before bottling). I'm hoping that will decrease the bottle shock wait times; and allow for us to dig in by mid-June.

Anyone with experience with this kit? Have any pointers? Do's and dont's?

Made this last summer. Without looking at my notes I think I did this one by the book. I did a really cold ferment to preserve the fruit foreword flavors. Excluded the sorbate. Pretty sure I used the EC1118. It turned out great. You won’t be disappointed.

Bringing this thread back after 4 months.

I was in search of a good Rose for Mrs. Mann and wound up picking up a RJS Cru International French Rose. It was delivered yesterday and I'm planning to start it this weekend. It's a dry Rose (with notes of strawberry and citrus - right in her wine-wheelhouse) that should finish with a 13% ABV instead of the off-dry trashy, summer, poolside mist kits I usually do that I boost to 11% or so... not that there's anything wrong with mist kits at all.

The RJS is a 12L kit with no particular extras to my knowledge - no flavor pack, no oak. We're getting a late start on our summer wine this year. So, I'm planning a 'quick ferment, quick clear, degas for three months and bottle' kind of wine. I usually skip the sorbate with my dry wines. Given that we usually demolish our summer wines by late September, and my wine making hygiene is pretty good, I'm toying with the idea of skipping the Kmeta too (maybe not entirely, I'm talking about that dose we do just before bottling). I'm hoping that will decrease the bottle shock wait times; and allow for us to dig in by mid-June.

Anyone with experience with this kit? Have any pointers? Do's and dont's?

I don't have experience with this kit, but last time I made some from grapes, I bottled very quickly (well for me) at about the six month point, didn't add any extra Kmeta at bottling time and was drinking it about a month after bottling. Folks loved it then and still do. It is nearing the two year mark now, since I didn't make any from grapes wine last year, and still fine.

I’d be willing to try a good dry rose but, like the OP, want to make sure I’m getting more character than a white zin.

Would want it dry and richer(?) that a white zin. Would this or the EP rose fit the bill? I’m looking for more a step below a Pinot noir than a step above a Pinot Grigio ( if that makes sense to anybody besides me ).

Jbo

I did this about 2 years ago at this time added a fpac of fresh strawberries to the primary made s nice difference in the long run.

Cook them down, have you read making a n fpac? If not do so it will guide you along , good luck.

Cook them down, have you read making a n fpac? If not do so it will guide you along , good luck.

Yep. I did. I was a little thrown when you said “fresh.”

Someday, I’d like to take your threads on winemaking and edit them into a book. [emoji1303]

Going to cook down a pound of fresh strawberries in a little Chard., then drop it in the juice.

Last edited:
I'm making an fpac as well, if I add the fruit f pac to the secondary do I need extra pectic enzyme? I think certain fruits contain more pectin, does enzyme effect the flavor of the wine?, also if joe ever has a book on all this experience he has, I'm buying!

If you add the fpac to the secondary and it's a mild fruit such as strawberries it then becomes a background flavor not a partnership as if added to the primary .
Strawberries as apposed to blackberries which has a stronger profile.
Add the strawberries to the primary not the secondary for best resultsfor this one at least.

Latest posts

Back