any issues with malo-lactic delay?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

franc1969

Reaction score
My barbera is done and will be racked this afternoon, merlot maybe tomorrow, both 71B yeast. I am now going to be quite late on other reds, likely not done fermenting until Oct 12th. My plan had been to add the malolactic bacteria to all carboys at once- some finished a week and some at start, one package divided among several 5/6 gallon carboys. Now some will be a few weeks, and settled.
Will I have any issues with waiting? I don't know what to do about kmeta when I rack since the wine will sit.

My standard protocol is to wait until they are all finished as you plan to do. As long as the carboys are fully topped I wouldn't worry about the sulfites. With that being said and if you have a scale capable of measuring small quantities and open pack of MLB will last at least a few weeks.

Cool, thanks. I don't really want to buy more than the one package, given how many gallons it is supposed to work on. Also I wasn't sure about the MLB package, everything says use immediately. I hadn't thought a week or two would hurt terribly since it is dry, but it's the first time I have tried using it.

Latest posts

Back