Any interest is alternative woods?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Are you interested in any of the following wood species?

• Acacia

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Apple

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Apricot

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • Ash

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Birch

• Cherry

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • Chestnut

• Hickory

• Maple

• Pear

• Total voters

Ty520

Reaction score
Hello all,

First off, apologies if this is the wrong section to put this - just wanting to get a gauge of interest before i actually put something like this under the classifieds section

I am looking into acquiring various species of less-than-ordinary woods to rip down into beans to start experimenting with adding to my wines and meads. I will have to order far more than I could ever use and wanted to put feelers out there to see if others have interest in them as well?

If you interested in something not listed, let me know.

Please leave a comment or send a PM to indicate quantities you might be interested in as well

If there's' enough interest, possibly even providing long beans, honeycombs, etc

(I am trying to acquire more 'exotic' Oaks, as well, namely Spanish and Oregon)

Last edited:
Yes, and not just allergies, but toxins. I am only considering woods that allergy have been used in aging (spirits) and food smoking

Smoking in particular (fire and heat change chemicals), and high alcohol spirit content aging (decade or more) is different from wine aging (months). And some wood in your list (ash, maple, etc) are possible, maybe, could be irritants (or not.... I am only suggesting here, not pretending to be a wood toxin expert only cautious commenter). Just saying. And hope this helps.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back