Any hunters?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use the Have a Heart type of traps. Baited with marshmallow. I've had to beef up the traps because the raccoons cut through the wire.

Hard to tell in this pic from last year, but the raccoon got out but left me a pile of shit. They think they're funny.

View attachment 86767
My brother used Have-a-Heart traps and dropped his 'coons off on the other side of the wide Maumee River; at least until he found out that a friend on the other side of the river was doing the same thing.

I thought I had a coyote problem. But then...

Two years a go I saw a raccoon carry away a screaming kitten into the woods. As a cat lover that was a devestating experience. And an act of war.
I keep a score board on the fridge. In 2 years I have trapped 70 raccoons. Yes, seven-zero. In Ohio it's against the law to catch and release raccoons.

I thought I had a coyote problem. But then...

Two years a go I saw a raccoon carry away a screaming kitten into the woods. As a cat lover that was a devestating experience. And an act of war.
I keep a score board on the fridge. In 2 years I have trapped 70 raccoons. Yes, seven-zero. In Ohio it's against the law to catch and release raccoons.
I’m not sure it’s legal here. 🤫

As difficult as it is to do you probably should dispatch trapped raccoons and rodents. They are very territorial and when dumped in another animals territory they will often be killed (or kill).

In Agricultural settings the number of raccoons is amazing. I regularly war with them over chicken predation and with a new vineyard planned I’m sure that will only get worse.

As difficult as it is to do you probably should dispatch trapped raccoons and rodents. They are very territorial and when dumped in another animals territory they will often be killed (or kill).

In Agricultural settings the number of raccoons is amazing. I regularly war with them over chicken predation and with a new vineyard planned I’m sure that will only get worse.
The very first one I sent walking through the Pearly Gates was hard. It took me three hours, seriously. Subsequent au revoirs were MUCH quicker. It still bothers me. I wish they would just go someplace else and leave me alone.

And marshmallows REALLY work! Marshmallows and peanut butter is like crack.

Getting back to hunting...

I have an old country cookbook that has recipes for possum, squirrel, raccoon, ground hogs, turtle, and of course deer. If I could somehow get passed the first one I wouldn't have to buy meat anymore.
My daughters father in law recently cooked a possum. His words “once you get past the stink, it’s good”

I mostly fish for Walleye, but have Deer that love my grapes. 2 years ago went on vacation just prior to harvest and came home and 90% of my grapes were gone. Put netting up last year, proplem solved.

I like to shoot a spike or doe each year. We process it and it all goes in the freezer. About the only things left over are the entrails, the hooves, and the skin. Dump those out back and they are all gone by the next morning. Coons are just trapped in a live trap and dispatched with a .22. My stupid neighbor feeds them so there are excess coming around. I ought to dump the carcasses on his property, but I don't.

I see the comments about eating the trash pandas, they are not bad, the places that would by them in Saint Louis (Mo.) would buy as many as you could bring as long as you left one foot on.

I'm the exterminator in my neighborhood.

Just wanted to pass on a story an old neighbor told me.
He and his two brothers just immigrated and were amazed by all the wildlife. Their first day hunting they see a small blackish creature that doesn't seem too afraid. They get closer and closer and are amazed at their luck. As soon as they are ready to shoot it raises it's tail sprays them all. They scream and don't understand what happened and run back to their brand new car and drive home. They had never heard of a skunk before and were never able to get the smell out of the car. Good times.

I have eaten muskrat, raccoon, and groundhog, all tasty. I have prepared coon and have shot possum twice but could not bring myself to clean the nasty buggers. If someone else cooked it up I would try it.
I'd like to try all of those. I have to get passed preparing one for the first time. Once I do I'll have gourmet country meals and some really cool caveman clothes.

When younger, a friend and I hunted squirrels during small game season. To cook I would 1st make some popcorn, grind it and use it to bread them, then sauteed them, and they were good tasting. Crockpot wild rabbit, venison shoulder and venison neck were good. I once cooked groundhog/woodchuck, it was tough and tasted grassy. Most likely I did not prepare/cook it correctly. Another friend, that was a chef at a restaurant cooked possum. The Possum was yuk, and was very greasy. I'm thinking he didn't clean it correctly. There seems to be an overabundance of small-game in the area. Maybe, a Raccoon bourguignon this fall?

I used to go after a variety of critters and birds. Now only deer which are around all the time. I do wander up the mountain looking for a dumb elk which are scarce. Bear..... Only if it's a special coloring and big! (There's one around that fits that description and I've been looking for him for 3 years)

I'd take a big cat as a favor to the deer. Not sure if I'd eat it even though I've heard it's good.

Wolves...... I would dearly love to eliminate every one. They're wiping out deer and elk young ones. The problem seems to be government intervention on their behalf which would make it very, very expensive!!

Back