Any hunters?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When younger, a friend and I hunted squirrels during small game season. To cook I would 1st make some popcorn, grind it and use it to bread them, then sauteed them, and they were good tasting. Crockpot wild rabbit, venison shoulder and venison neck were good. I once cooked groundhog/woodchuck, it was tough and tasted grassy. Most likely I did not prepare/cook it correctly. Another friend, that was a chef at a restaurant cooked possum. The Possum was yuk, and was very greasy. I'm thinking he didn't clean it correctly. There seems to be an overabundance of small-game in the area. Maybe, a Raccoon bourguignon this fall?
Yearling groundhog makes good stew, after that not much. You can tell by the color of their fur.

I used to go after a variety of critters and birds. Now only deer which are around all the time. I do wander up the mountain looking for a dumb elk which are scarce. Bear..... Only if it's a special coloring and big! (There's one around that fits that description and I've been looking for him for 3 years)

I'd take a big cat as a favor to the deer. Not sure if I'd eat it even though I've heard it's good.

Wolves...... I would dearly love to eliminate every one. They're wiping out deer and elk young ones. The problem seems to be government intervention on their behalf which would make it very, very expensive!!
I had bear at a few friends houses. Its delicious. Id kill any of them. Mountain lion was also very good. I was shocked

Yearling groundhog makes good stew, after that not much. You can tell by the color of their fur.
Color of groundhog's fur? tell me more. I imagine a 1-year old groundhog/woodchuck is fully grown. I once live-trapped a smaller groundhog that was causing damage at a woman friend's yard/house. I didn't notice a distinctive fur color. Though I wasn't looking for it.

Color of groundhog's fur? tell me more. I imagine a 1-year old groundhog/woodchuck is fully grown. I once live-trapped a smaller groundhog that was causing damage at a woman friend's yard/house. I didn't notice a distinctive fur color. Though I wasn't looking for it.
Young ones have a lighter color fur. It will darken as the animal gets older.

Latest posts

Back