Any hunters?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have found many of the folks who make their own wine are the self sufficient type, so lots of gardening, canning, hunting, fishing etc. I myself do all of those. I hunt deer and waterfowl and fish as well. I’m in Northeast Wisconsin.
Awesome. I do a lot of fishing myself, mainly saltwater.
I'd love to get out to Wisconsin and other midwest states to bowhunt. I went out to Illinois this past season.
Waterfowl was my entry but never stuck with it. I really like turkey but they don't have a season on Long Island in the spring. That may be changing though.

Do raccoons count? They attack my outdoor cats. The internet says they don't do that. Right. I've had 3 start walking fast towards ME! Mean bastards! I have some recipes just in case I go that route. :h

I see deer on the property almost every single day. I have deer highways. My nephew drops by during the season every once in a while and they vanish. I've never seen one during hunting season.

Awesome. I do a lot of fishing myself, mainly saltwater.
I'd love to get out to Wisconsin and other midwest states to bowhunt. I went out to Illinois this past season.
Waterfowl was my entry but never stuck with it. I really like turkey but they don't have a season on Long Island in the spring. That may be changing though.
I love Turkey hunting because it gets me
Out in the field after a long winter.

my hunting philosophy has definitely changed. I used to pursue big bucks. Now I pursue venison… can’t eat antlers! The solitude and being in nature are the primary goal. The good meals are a bonus. I regularly have days when I pass on animals I could harvest because I don’t feel like interrupting my “hunt”… go figure. I foresee a day when I let my grandsons do all the harvesting while I just enjoy the outdoors.

this is not to criticize anyones motivation for hunting. Unless it’s just to kill things.

Do raccoons count? They attack my outdoor cats. The internet says they don't do that. Right. I've had 3 start walking fast towards ME! Mean bastards! I have some recipes just in case I go that route. :h

I see deer on the property almost every single day. I have deer highways. My nephew drops by during the season every once in a while and they vanish. I've never seen one during hunting season.
I HATE those things. Grape vine destroyers, peach tree destroyers, garden destroyers...

So I installed an electric fence. Now I just laugh when I hear one squeal in the darkness when it tries to climb the fence and hits that top wire 2" above a 2" x 4" "no climb" horse fence. My days of playing nice are OVER.

I HATE those things. Grape vine destroyers, peach tree destroyers, garden destroyers...

So I installed an electric fence. Now I just laugh when I hear one squeal in the darkness when it tries to climb the fence and hits that top wire 2" above a 2" x 4" "no climb" horse fence. My days of playing nice are OVER.

they love mango. I’ve had them come through the cat door
1649463046500.png

I love Turkey hunting because it gets me
Out in the field after a long winter.

my hunting philosophy has definitely changed. I used to pursue big bucks. Now I pursue venison… can’t eat antlers! The solitude and being in nature are the primary goal. The good meals are a bonus. I regularly have days when I pass on animals I could harvest because I don’t feel like interrupting my “hunt”… go figure. I foresee a day when I let my grandsons do all the harvesting while I just enjoy the outdoors.

this is not to criticize anyones motivation for hunting. Unless it’s just to kill things.
Mine has changed as well, I still would love big bucks and I pass a lot of small ones but we can shoot unlimited does here.
I just don't have the time or drive to put in all the scouting hours I used to before the family.

they love mango. I’ve had them come through the cat door
View attachment 86762

I have way too much wildlife to have a cat door, or an outside cat. I've considered a dog but I really don't want to deal with land mines and I'm too old and have too much to do to spend time picking up dog **it.

Back on the family farm in Southern Illinois we have a decent number of deer, turkey. Since I moved to Ohio I have found lots of locations with decent herds of deer, unfortunately I do not have any access to the areas. When I was back at home, I had a spot where I could sit right off the side of a field in a ditch which was situated in a way where I could sit halfway comfortably and could see right across the field.

It's hard to beat the Wisconsin woods In the fall during the rut 15 ft up in a tree with a bow . I'm getting ready for a spring archery Turkey hunt the last week of the month just as the Morel mushrooms start popping, another favorite time of mine.. Venison steak, Fried Turkey tenders ,morels and Elderberry wine are on the menu.

I use the Have a Heart type of traps. Baited with marshmallow. I've had to beef up the traps because the raccoons cut through the wire.

Hard to tell in this pic from last year, but the raccoon got out but left me a pile of shit. They think they're funny.

20210703_160240-Edit-2.jpg

Latest posts

Back