Any help identifying what this may be?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rickrd

Reaction score
I am in process of Malo Ferm (about 6 weeks in) and noticed this white ball of a substance floating on top of carboy. Wine is a Merlot from Gapes and fresh juice. Its been there for a few weeks now and hasn't grown any larger. Any Idea of what it may be? Thanks in advance!
Rick
img_4382-2642.jpg

img_4381-2641.jpg

I had something (well really close to this picture) and I was looking for a photo I took - probably 2 phones ago so I stopped looking. My pale clump, after my coroner style inspection, was actually a grape skin. Not sure how "it" made it into the secondary or why it transformed the way it did but the wine was just fine. Hoping this is the same example for you.

Not seeing a stopper or airlock so can we presume you've removed whatever it is?? I'd have to go along with the grape skin too. Does not look to be threatening (no legs or bug eyes!!) LOL

Thanks all!. Yes, there is a stopper and airlock onboard. hoping its a grape skin but funny how it shows up white. I will try to retrieve it with some long tweezers to confirm. At my inexperience, you can tell that I am easily panicked at this point,

DoctorCAD he said he is into mlf right now so k-meta isn't wanted. Take the thing out and see what it is. If you can perform the test for mlf completion and it is done, then bring the sulfite level up for protection. If not done, warm it up to about 70 to 72 to speed it up and then sulfite as soon as you can.

Mystery solved. Did some surgery with sanatized tweezers and grabbed that sucker. Boatboy24 nailed it! Sneaky grape skin. whew... all is good....
img_4389-2644.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back