Any fruits wines that are ready in 6 months..

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dirtydog420

Reaction score
Looking for ideas on wines that will be ready in six months or less til bottling... Possibly moving in about 8 months so I want to give myself that extra time...

Thanks..

PS.. Any ideas on a fast pear wine? Got into this cause I have a pear tree in my yard but need it to be ready to bottle by march at the latest..

Sure you can bottle fruit wines in 6 months. You may need to help it along by addingclearing agents more than once and co-ordinate the f-pacs and sweeteniing
What do you plan on? Not all can be ready thou

You can make a type of cider from pears.. it's called perry and is just the juice fermented out with a cider yeast.. no sugar or water added...

If you get it started now it should be well bottled by march.

Allie

From reading your other posts it sounds like you are wanting to make wine with a high alcohol kick. If you make a few batches that are much lower alcohol (12%-14%) you will be able to bottle and drink these much sooner. You have read here that many recommend a lower alcohol level in the fruit wines. Not because we are wussies but because it allows the flavor of the fruit to be realized and create balance. I have a batch of Raspberry here that I am probably gonna dump that is 18% as it just taste nasty. Very hot alcohol taste that has mellowed some but is still too dominant after 2 years of age.

As Tom said, if you use some fining agents during the process you will be able to bottle much sooner. I have made Strawberry wines that fermented and cleared as fast as an average kit that were drinkable in about six months. Yes, it got much better after a year or so but it was pleasant in 6-8 months. I have made apple wines as well in a fairly short time. Blueberry is about the only fruit wine I make that seems to take a while as it seems to take forever just to ferment down.

Can someone please explain the fining agent process? What to use and approximently when they needed to be add..

And only wanted carrot wine to be high in alcohol cause thats what it called for...:c

thanks
dirty dog

I have found that the berry wines I have made clear quickly compared to other fruits. Strawberry can be ready for bottling in 8 weeks but needs time to age. It has a more predominate "youngness" about it.
I have never used a fining agent but it is an additive that clears the wine quickly.

Can someone please explain the fining agent process? What to use and approximently when they needed to be add..

And only wanted carrot wine to be high in alcohol cause thats what it called for...:c

thanks
dirty dog
Finning agents are but not limited to;

Degassing, stirring wine vigorously to remove trapped gas.

Potassium Metabisulfite. 1/4tsp per 6 gallons added after wine went dry .
(.990)

Potassium Sulfite, added 1/2tsp per gallon to prevent refermentation

Clearing agents, can be a number it things, SuperKleer, Sparkolloid. Isinglass. egg whites and others. Added after above to clear the wine faster

My 5 gal batches of tropical fruit wines (made using 1/2 can of SunCal Riesling wine concentrate + 1/2 dose of fruit such as mango, banana and pineapple) are clearing and ready in 6 months. They might get better with age, but they are pretty great as is.... My fruit wine without grape juice does take a lot longer. My wine made just from juice have turned out quite bland.

I freeze the fruit first and use pectic enzyme (follow the directions for 2.5 gallon for fruit wine), which helps with clearing.

You can make a type of cider from pears.. it's called perry and is just the juice fermented out with a cider yeast.. no sugar or water added...

If you get it started now it should be well bottled by march.

Allie

Is the recipe here anywhere Allie? I'd be happy to give that a go. I'm up to my thighs in apples and pears this year.

Leanne,

You make it exactly the same as apple cider.. do be aware that pears contain unfermentable sugars to various degrees.. so it will finish sweet.. I made miine out of beurre bosc pears last summer and they finished very sweet.

I only use the juice.. no water or sugar added and it will finish out at between 6 and 8 percent abv.. depending on the starting SG of the pears natural sweetness.

this was a hit with my teens..

Allie

LMAO. I remember something similar in my teens. Aaaahhhhhhhhh the memories.

Back