Any experience with AVANTE (ANDANTE) YEAST from Renaissance?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crushday

grape juice artisan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recently tried a Merlot from Browne Family Vineyards - it was amazing... I have WE Eclipse Stag's Leap Merlot that I'm thinking of simulating the below specs from the Browne website. Anyone with experience using this yeast?

• Alcohol: 14.2%
  • Oak: 44% New French Oak
  • Aged: 22 Months
  • Yeast: Andante

Yep. That’s pretty cool you were able to find out what yeast was used. Andante is Tough to find in small quantities for the home winemaker. Luckily there is one place that repackages - https://www.lodiwinelabs.com/ In 8g packs.
I bought a few. Only used it once on a Juice pail. Andante has got a lot of buzz going on about it. Super high tolerances. Eats up 30% malic (for grape wines) and the kicker- absolutely zero h2s!
The ones who have used it swear by.

Yep. That’s pretty cool you were able to find out what yeast was used. Andante is Tough to find in small quantities for the home winemaker. Luckily there is one place that repackages - https://www.lodiwinelabs.com/ In 8g packs.
I bought a few. Only used it once on a Juice pail. Andante has got a lot of buzz going on about it. Super high tolerances. Eats up 30% malic (for grape wines) and the kicker- absolutely zero h2s!
The ones who have used it swear by.
I just ordered some. Any suggestions on nutrients? Since I'll be experimenting with a WE Eclipse Stag's Leap kit, those come pre-balanced. Any other information would be appreciated.

@4score and I have done 7 ferments and made over 700 gallons of wine with Andante. Not even a hint of H2S. Fast fermenter for sure. Perhaps even a bit too fast.
I just ordered some. Any suggestions on nutrients? Since I'll be experimenting with a WE Eclipse Stag's Leap kit, those come pre-balanced. Any other information would be appreciated.

We’ve used the same nutrient regime as other yeast; 1.25 g of Goferm per gram of yeast and .94 g of Ferm K per gallon of must, 1/2 at first sight of fermentation, 1/2 at 1/3 brix drop.

This is my fermentation GoogleSheet planning worksheet that I use to order my supplies and then help guide me through the day of. If anyone wants a copy, send me a pm.

215B533F-CA48-4408-B49F-FCAAAB44D6A2.jpeg

Yes, we plan to use Andante once again this Fall. Do I think we could achieve a slightly better taste/nose with D254/D80? Perhaps, but the difference is very slight. Erasing the risk of H2S AND using a yeast with a proven tolerance to heat and alcohol, makes this decision easy for us. Certainly it will be a clean ferment with no H2S. With other yeast strains, there may be no perception of H2S but it is common to have H2S in low amounts. The question is, what desirable properties is this H2S masking? That's why they call Andante a "clean" fermenting yeast.

Has anyone seen this Winemakers Research Exchange? Very interesting. I noticed in one study, panelists preferred D254 over Andante. http://www.winemakersresearchexchange.com/contents-yeast-trials/

We are thinking of adding another step to our wine-making process to supplement the Andante properties. There's a lot of hype around CHR Hansen's non-saccharomyces yeast. For our Cab Franc, we are considering using "Prelude" (Torulaspora delbrueckii) before using the Andante. Basically, we do this pre-ferment for 24-48 hours. In that time it will really draw out the dark fruit profile, add body and it is said to really improve the mouthfeel. Then it's followed up shortly with Andante and the Andante will quickly overwhelm this other yeast and complete things. Pretty exciting. @NorCal isn't sure how much he'll try this with, but we're thinking of going all in. Like Andante, finding smaller doses of Prelude (or Concerto) will be challenging. I think it's only sold in 500g packs.

Laffort also makes an equivalent to Prelude called Zymaflore Alpha. I think it's mentioned in one of the referenced studies.

We are thinking of adding another step to our wine-making process to supplement the Andante properties. There's a lot of hype around CHR Hansen's non-saccharomyces yeast. For our Cab Franc, we are considering using "Prelude" (Torulaspora delbrueckii) before using the Andante. Basically, we do this pre-ferment for 24-48 hours. In that time it will really draw out the dark fruit profile, add body and it is said to really improve the mouthfeel. Then it's followed up shortly with Andante and the Andante will quickly overwhelm this other yeast and complete things. Pretty exciting. @NorCal isn't sure how much he'll try this with, but we're thinking of going all in. Like Andante, finding smaller doses of Prelude (or Concerto) will be challenging. I think it's only sold in 500g packs.

Laffort also makes an equivalent to Prelude called Zymaflore Alpha. I think it's mentioned in one of the referenced studies.

Sounds really interesting. I'll be looking forward to hearing about your results.

I have used Avante last year and was looking into co-inoculating with vp41 sometime during primary. Any of you have experience doing this?

Thanks

I have used Avante last year and was looking into co-inoculating with vp41 sometime during primary. Any of you have experience doing this?

Thanks

Yes, we (@NorCal) have successfully co-inoculated with CH16. We have really come to appreciate this yeast strain. It's a monster. No H2S, high Alcohol & heat tolerant - love it.

I'm using Avante for the second year in a row, and agree that it has staying power. I noticed very fast fermentation starts both times and rapid clean finishes. You will notice less smell overall during fermentation. I think (but don't know) that all normal yeast strains, make some low level of H2S that adds to the fermentation smell. Avante does not, and the difference during fermentation is immediately apparent. For anyone reading this, realize that Andante was renamed Avante and they are the same yeast. I had no issues with MLF last year and will be adding CH16 again this year 48 hours after the start of fermentation.

Thanks for the replies. When you add the mlb during fermentation to you alter your yeast Fermaid or dap additions and do you still add your mlb nutrients during the primary or wait till you press and first rack?

Thanks for the replies. When you add the mlb during fermentation to you alter your yeast Fermaid or dap additions and do you still add your mlb nutrients during the primary or wait till you press and first rack?
I do standard FermK add the mlf and nutrient to the fermentation 2 days in during primary.

I have never added any MLF nutrient with VP41 and never had any problems. Only FermK when pitching yeast and halfway through ferment.

Here's a great write-up about co-innoculating vs. sequential :

Attachments

• WE4-Australia.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 26

Latest posts

Back