Antiflor / Flor Stop

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello All,

Myself and several family members have 200L variable capacity storage tanks. We open the tank every 2 -3 months to pour 30L of wine. Prior to Covid, I travelled to Italy very frequently and would buy tablets called Antiflor made by Enartis that we would use in the storage tank to prevent Flor yeast growth. Now I have run out and need tablets and cannot seem to find them here in the US.

Options to ship from Canada are very expensive. Any idea where I can but these tablets in the NY/NJ area or online?

I knew what this must do (wine preservative in a fusti, barrel, or other tank), but wasn't sure what was in the product. For others- Enartis' website shows
Antiflor Product containing allyl isothiocyanate (mustard essence), supported by food-grade paraffin. It prevents the growth of “film” forming yeast on the surface of not fully topped tanks and barrels.

I can only assume this is not an ingredient 'generally recognized as safe' (GRAS) in the US. It may even be a banned substance as mustard oil is toxic in some degree, since Enartis doesn't even show it on the US site version. I only found Flor Stop viaCanada as well.
There are plenty of people who use and like mustard oil flavor in food, but you can't get it here.

Why are you concerned about film yeast in a VC tank? I understand that to be an issue with fixed capacity tanks where you can have headspace that hasn't been fully purged with inert gas. For my VC tanks I keep my sulfites up and lower the lid to float on the wine before pumping up the seal. No oxygen or headspace and never any flor.

Latest posts

Back