Anti-gravity pump not self-priming

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBP

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with the anti-gravity pump (Northern Brewer)? I received one for Christmas - worked fabulously for several times, then stopped self-priming. They replaced it - second one, same problem. Have been trying to find work-around, but not much is working consistently and I am not exactly a mechanical wizard. If anyone has any suggestions or experience, would appreciate the insights. I really enjoyed not having to beg for help with full carboys while it lasted.

In the meantime, saving up for an AIO...

Make sure you do not have any airleaks at the fittings. You could squirt water on the fittings while you are trying to get the prime going and see if you notice anything (noises, liquid getting sucked in...).

Be sure to use an inline strainer to prevent damage due to pumping solids. Also, after use, and flushing clean etc., don't leave any sulfite solutions or harsh sanitizing agents inside the pump when stored. I always do a final rinse with RO or purified water, so if it dries, it doesn't leave significant mineral deposits behind.

Be sure to use an inline strainer to prevent damage due to pumping solids. Also, after use, and flushing clean etc., don't leave any sulfite solutions or harsh sanitizing agents inside the pump when stored. I always do a final rinse with RO or purified water, so if it dries, it doesn't leave significant mineral deposits behind.

Is there a way to evaluate if there is damage? I have rinsed and cleaned well, but can't remember if I ever left sulfite solution as the last rinse. The fittings are tight (no leaks).

Thanks!

Pump water through it. Shove the inlet hose into a faucet and turn it on. Force water through and see if that opens it up.

Then try it on it's own to see if the cure worked.

That is a typical diaphragm style pump which uses check valves at the inlet and outlet, and these valves have to seal well in order to self prime. I would circulate a cleaning solution through the pump, let it go for a while, then flush with water and see if that helps to clean up the valves.

Did you talk to the supplier about a service manual? There may not be one given the low cost. The internet is corrupt with many different versions of that pump that are fairly cheap. If all else fails, I would guess that you could access the valves under the five screws on top, and manually clean them. I don't have that pump so I'm just speaking in general terms.

Found this kit for a similar pump that shows the parts.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-12V-60W...Automatic-Switch-Water-Pump-Kit/113519513623?

Last edited:
Back