Ant inside the Airlock

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I worry about everything but I am trying to make an excellent wine. Today as I checked all my airlocks, I found a dead ant in the water inside the air lock. These are in bulk storage so the airlocks are completely still. The type of airlock that I am using is the one with the floating plastic bell that goes over the stem. It has a perforated cap on top of the barrel that lets air escape. I guess this is where the ant got in. My water is heavily sulfited and the ant was dead. It may not have hurt anything but I jerked it off the carboy and refilled it with clean sulfited water. Has anyone else had this problem? Did I do the right thing?

I have found a fruit fly in mine before.

I just cleaned it out - add new vodka to the airlock and attached to carboy.

Make sure you keep your SO2 levels up and you will be fine.

Check the wine - just to make sure one didn't make its way in there - I highly doubt that it did.

I hope you at least said a few words, you know, to the effect that AT LEAST HE DIED HAPPY!

:)

I wouldn't stress over it.

All that means is that the airlock did it's job!!! When I'm fermenting, sometimes I'll check and find 3-4 have died a happy death over the course of a day. Just rinse them out and you should be all set!

He would'nt have drank much anyways, you could have shared...lol

Doug Doug Doug, now what if everyone that raided your wine drank what was probably equivalent to their body weight?

Bug20Crawling.gif

Last edited:
Dan, that damned ant just about cost me a computer screen! Funny!

Back