Another vacu-suck question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratflinger

3 streets from Hell
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK, got my medical grade aspirator running with all the hoses & fittings I needed. I moved a 6g bottle from the floor to my upper shelf, mainly for testing. It foamed a lot in the receiving bottle, is this normal? I know the vac is pulling the air out of the bottle first, so I hope it's not causing problems. I could use a longer filling cane. Maybe just degassing. The process was slower than a siphon, but there was no lifting involved. Is this speed normal? Have not tried bottling yet. The transfer went in spurts instead of a smooth steady flow, but maybe this is the nature of the beast.

Comment appreciated.

Check for leaks in the hose attachments. It sounds like air is getting introduced somewhere. If it was leak free, it should run smoothly and quickly. If mine foams when I am transferring and it worries me, I back off on the vacuum to slow foaming. It definitely should not run in spurts.

When using vacuum to transfer the wine, you also degas at the same time. I find my pump pulls about 15" vacuum during the transfer, and with the agitation it's like stirring while under vacuum. Good for degassing. I usually have to stop about 3/4 of the way through to let the foam subside.

I run mine at 8" of vacuum when transfering/racking it still foams a little but as the carboy fills the foam subsides. With vacuum in the carboy I don't think a person would have to worry about oxidation either.

BOB

I dont get any foam from mine Peter, are you sure your not getting any air somewhere. I stop right at the very end just so I dont suck up that big gulp of air at the very end.

I concur with Peter. I do splash vacuum though. Gets rid of all the gas during transfer.

Im not disagreeing I just dint get that foam or agitation unless you are talking about holding the hose up in the receiving carboy to splash the wine.

No evidence of air, wade, but most of my experience in vacuum racking is in wines thathave either just completed secondary, or are being racked off the gross lees after clarification. At this point I don't think they are fully degassed.

The only time I ever experienced lots of foam or any really at all was when I had a hose that wasnt tight enough or when I accidentally sucked up some air from not paying attention and not lowering the cane down into the wine at the right time. Huh!

Latest posts

Back