Another quick question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harbrook

Reaction score
Im just about to rack from Secondary..In my Instructions it says to add the potassium Metabisulphite just before degassing. I just want to ask if this is the done thing? does the Chemical need time to do its thing before degassing or can I just start whipping it up after adding it?
thanks

If you de-gas before adding the K-Meta more gas will be created by the K-meta. Different type of gas though. So that's one option. The K-meta gas presence is a good thing and will dissipate on its own - you shouldn't have de-gas to get rid of it.

IF you add the K-Meta as soon as you rack, then you should probably let it alone for a month. Whipping it immediately could give you a bit more gas than you want at that time. By itself K-meta will raise my airlock bubblers a couple of times meaning it's creating a bit of excess gas on it's own. You really don't want to create a foam fountain.

?? How soon do you plan on bottling ?? Unless you are in a hurry to bottle (Following Kit instructions) I'd let it de-gas on it's own for a month or two. If you age it for 6 or more months you may not need to de-gas at all.

By the way if you haven't seen tips about kits on here - the majority opinion is to ignore the bottling time instructions - WAIT WAIT WAIT! Give that kit at least 6 months.

If you de-gas before adding the K-Meta more gas will be created by the K-meta. Different type of gas though. So that's one option. The K-meta gas presence is a good thing and will dissipate on its own - you shouldn't have de-gas to get rid of it.

IF you add the K-Meta as soon as you rack, then you should probably let it alone for a month. Whipping it immediately could give you a bit more gas than you want at that time. By itself K-meta will raise my airlock bubblers a couple of times meaning it's creating a bit of excess gas on it's own. You really don't want to create a foam fountain.

?? How soon do you plan on bottling ?? Unless you are in a hurry to bottle (Following Kit instructions) I'd let it de-gas on it's own for a month or two. If you age it for 6 or more months you may not need to de-gas at all.

By the way if you haven't seen tips about kits on here - the majority opinion is to ignore the bottling time instructions - WAIT WAIT WAIT! Give that kit at least 6 months.

My Instructions say to siphon in to carboy , sprinkle in the K-Meta, and mix thoroughly to remove CO2, then add half the Kieselsol and stir, then over next 2 days repeat the degassing 6-8 times.... only after that when its completely degassed can i move on to the stabilising and clarification by adding K-sorbate, Chitosan and rest of Kieselsol.
How does this plan sound?
From my understanding I will start by degassing as much as I can before adding the K-Meta.... but after that I'm a bit confused.........
I do plan to bulk age in Carboy for 3 months and then age is bottle a further 3

Personally I'd siphon, mix, then at the end of the de-gas sprinkle in the K-meta.
From that point on Follow the instructions. As to aging, that's again a personal choice to make. What variety of wine is this kit? That can make some difference.

Be patient, there are a lot of experienced kit wine makers on here who will have much more experience to share with you.

The one consensus is that the kits 9 out of 10 times have you bottling too soon.

Biggest lesson, toughest lesson to learn is patience.

I'd love to bottle my peach wine started this past Summer but it still needs at least 2-3 more months before it should be bottled.

If you're going to bulk age in carboy for three months maybe wait on most everything. Mix the kmeta in to protect the wine from oxidation and keep it topped up.... Wait three months, rack off sediment then re-assess.

Before you do final clearing rack off any sediment and then do the clearing agents and let it sit for a week before racking again and possibly filtering if you want...

General rule is kmeta every three months (at racking) then let it sit more.... Kmeta before bottling.

If it's pretty cool then degassing has more issues (since CO2 is retained in liquid @ cooler temps) but it seems that most around here report that "kit instructions for degassing" are not in any way adequate or realistic. I haven't followed instructions yet and I'm constantly being chastised and brought to task so I could be completely wrong....

Good luck and raise a glass for us please whenever you test or taste and we'll do the same!

Cheers,
-johann

At this point I bow to the inputs of Experienced Kit Wine makers. I make primarily Fruit wines like Blackberry, Blueberry, Peach etc.

Give it a couple of days and the experienced folks will chime in suspect. (I'm retired and have plenty of time to cruise these forums and research topics of interest.)

Follow the instructions. Rack, the add sulfite, it'll help protect your wine from oxidation while you're degassing. When satisfied with degassing, add your kieselsol and chitosan per instructions. Rack off of the sediment according to your instructions, probably a few weeks later.

Back