Another one of those Welch's White Grape & Peach wine threads...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Intheswamp

Reaction score
South Alabama - The Enchanted Land of Humidity
This probably seems to many to be an old looped rerun of an old train wreck, but here goes... :re

I've tried to write down what I think I need to do to ferment a couple of gallon jugs worth of Welch's White Grape & Peach wine. Actually, I think it'll come out to around 2.5 gallons. I follow directions pretty well, even if they're mine. But, if I stand there going by memory I'll end up losing it like an over-loaded gravel truck coming down Pike's Peak during a blizzard...so notes help. If some of you could give me some feedback/pointers/money I'd appreciate it. ;)

Thanks!
Ed

Intheswamp's Welch's White Grape & Peach Wine attempt

4 – 64oz Welch's White Grape & Peach 100% juice
Add additional 32oz of Welch's White Grape 100% juice
Possibly include some white raisins...rinse and chop.
Check SG with hydrometer.
Monitoring SG w/hydrometer add simple sugar syrup gradually until a SG of 1.0840 is reached.
Add K-meta per package instructions.
Wait 12 hours.
Add Pectin Enzymes per package instructions.
Wait 12 hours.
Take hydrometer reading, adjust SG to 1.0860.
Record OG.
Add 1/3 amount of Fermaid-O.
Make yeast starter with Lalvin 71B yeast and Go-Ferm.
Let yeast hydrate and grow.
Pitch starter into must once temperature of starter and must are within 10-degrees of each other.
Stir.
Cover bucket with clean cloth.
Stir twice a day.
Add 1/3 Fermaid-O amount on second day.
Add 1/3 Fermaid-O amount on third day.
When SG drops to 1.020 rack into gallon jugs and install airlocks. Add K-meta.
In 30 days rack to fresh jugs.
If more lees form rack again in 30 days and add K-meta.
Repeat racking as needed. Add K-meta every other racking.
(Being a juice-only recipe with no solids there shouldn't be an overabundance of lees.)
Once SG is consistently 1.000 or below for three consecutive days add K-meta and K-sorbate.
Wait 5-7 days to be sure fermetation has stopped.
Rack into clean jugs for bulk aging or rack into bottles for bottle aging.

***NOTES: I'm not sure about whether to add any acid or tannin. I'm leaning towards a bit of tannin, but maybe leaving addtional acid out. I'm also wondering about adding a couple of handfuls of rinsed white raisins to the primary.

@Intheswamp Your process looks good to me. Your 71B is a good choice; should enhance the peach flavor. It will only tolerate up to ~14% ABV, but I can't imagine wanting it higher than that anyway. Will you backsweeten the batch? I find that with my fruit wines, a little sugar enhances the fruit flavor (results in a semi-sweet wine). If so, you will want to add Potassium Sorbate.

I am finishing up a 6-gallon batch now. Used a white grape peach juice base plus peach puree. My recipe was more along the lines of the Dragon Blood, so I included both tannin and a little lemon juice. Had difficulty getting it to clear. So, I finally broke down and bought a Buon Vino filter I have been thinking about buying for almost a year now. The batch is not as peachy as I would have liked. Considering adding some Brewer's Best Peach flavoring.

I hope you will post how your batch turns out.

Howdy Mark. Yes, I chose the 71B for it's stated reputation for being good with different fruits. I've looking for an ABV% of around 12%...hopefully. Yes, will have K-sorbate at bottling/long-term-aging stage...will taste-test for possibly sweetening. ;)

From what I understand (in my meager readings) is that white grape and peach tend to be delicate flavors to work with. Thus, I hope I don't get too high of an ABV%...peaking somewhere between 11% and 12% would be nice. That would give some protection to the wine but yet hopefully not cover up the light fruit taste.

I've got to study up on tannins. I'm thinking that this wine might need some though I'm not sure about the acid. Seems for the concord grape version that folks have said it's acidic enough without additional acid. But, it's been stated that the White Grape & Peach juice is already balanced acid-wise. I'll study first on tannins and go from there.

It sounds like you've got a good batch going. I currently drink very little wine, just a little beer. I'm just wanting to get some small batches made to stick back and drink a bottle every once in a while, or give to friends. I'll definitely be posting on this fermentation, stay tuned.<g> Now, watch this explode and I end up having a dozen or so jugs and carboys bubbling along!!! :D

I made a batch if welch's white grape peach last year, and personally I would add a bit of acid blend. My wine was decent, but not peachy enough for me and it needed a slight acid boost the bring out the flavors. If I were making it again, I would add 1/4 tsp acid blend per gallon in primary. You can also add it before bottling to taste, whichever you prefer. But I thought the end result (after 1yr of bottle aging) was okay but nothing spectacular. I would look for some peach concentrate to boost that flavor as well, but to each their own.

Thanks for that input, tradowsk. I've been thinking about the acid blend. Being as this isn't a loud tasting fruit juice, at least not as strong as the black cherry, etc., versions it might need a little help.

I've looked all over around here for concentrates but all I find is apple, lemon, lime, and that's about it. I haven't seen the first grape concentrate yet. That includes a couple of local grocery stores, a Publix, and two Walmarts. Before I start a batch I hope to get a peek another store or two.

Thanks for the input, salcoco. Is that 1/4 tsp of tannin per gallon or for my total recipe (2.5 gal)?

I've got some pH test strips...better than nothing, I hope. I don't have granulated citric acid but I do have lemons, will lemon juice work ok? If so, how should I go about adding it....add it in 1 tsp doses until the pH gets within range? Or, 1 tablespoon doses? Or...??? Thanks for the feedback.

Thanks for the input, salcoco. Is that 1/4 tsp of tannin per gallon or for my total recipe (2.5 gal)?

I've got some pH test strips...better than nothing, I hope. I don't have granulated citric acid but I do have lemons, will lemon juice work ok? If so, how should I go about adding it....add it in 1 tsp doses until the pH gets within range? Or, 1 tablespoon doses? Or...??? Thanks for the feedback.

I bottled my peach wine yesterday ... turned out really nice! Regarding tannin and acid, for my 6-gallon batch, I used 1 tsp tannin and added 16 oz of lemon juice (1/2 bottle GoodValue Walmart brand).

per gallon. your ph strips will not be very accurate unless you are a good judge of color contrast. at any rate add juice in one teaspoon increments. good luck. as detailed as your activity is I think it is warranted to purchase a ph meter. lot of inexpensive ones on Amazon. also buy some tartaric acid better than the juice.

I used (6) 64 oz. white-grape peach juice - Montrochet yeast - 29 oz. can Del Monte sliced peaches in heavy syrup - 2 1/2 Tsp pectin enzyme - 1 1/2 tsp. acid blend - sugar to s.g. 1.090.
I thought it came out pretty good.

Bill

I bottled my peach wine yesterday ... turned out really nice! Regarding tannin and acid, for my 6-gallon batch, I used 1 tsp tannin and added 16 oz of lemon juice (1/2 bottle GoodValue Walmart brand).
Mark, thanks for the input! Sounds like you came away with some nice wine!!!

per gallon. your ph strips will not be very accurate unless you are a good judge of color contrast. at any rate add juice in one teaspoon increments. good luck. as detailed as your activity is I think it is warranted to purchase a ph meter. lot of inexpensive ones on Amazon. also buy some tartaric acid better than the juice.
I'll go with 1/4 tsp per gallon...maybe a tad less. I tend to be conservative. ;) I looked at the pH meters and there are some inexpensive ones. It looks like there's a lot of the same type, almost identical ones with different names on them. I ordered one so we'll see how it goes. I also threw some tartaric acid in there. Now, I've *gotta* get that old mead bottled and something new bubbling!!!!

I used (6) 64 oz. white-grape peach juice - Montrochet yeast - 29 oz. can Del Monte sliced peaches in heavy syrup - 2 1/2 Tsp pectin enzyme - 1 1/2 tsp. acid blend - sugar to s.g. 1.090.
I thought it came out pretty good.

Bill
I'm figuring this was a 3.5gal batch? I've wondered about putting some canned peaches in with it. Did you put them in a mesh bag for ease of removal? You fermented yours to a higher ABV% than what I'm shooting for...I'm shooting for a 1.0860 OG, or there abouts. I'm hoping to ferment to dryness and maybe backsweeten one gallon to semi-semi-sweet and leave the other gallon dry. Tasting will be the testing. :)

So, a 1/4t per gallon of both tannin and tartaric acid? Or would an acid blend work better for the acid? I'll start out with around 3.5 gallons for a 3-gallon carboy...that will leave me some overage for topping off.

Acid Blend is never the correct choice for grape winemaking. The why to that the malic acid in the acid blend may or may not be able to be converted by malolactic fermentation and citric acid isn't a good thing during MLF. If you overshoot how much to add, tartaric acid can be dropped out via cold.

If I remember correctly, this is a peach wine, so maybe acid blend is okay, but probably not. Tartaric Acid is almost always the way to go.

My notes on the tannin was left with a tannin 1/4 teaspoon ??. acid blend added 1 1/2 teaspoon per 3 1/2 gal.

So don't know if tannin was added.

Bill

Thanks @cmason1957 , I'll stick with the tartaric...and thanks for the info on the grape/malic connection even though I don't understand it all. The wine is predominately Welchs White Grape & Peach 100% juice though I'm seriously thinking of adding several cans of sliced peaches to the mix.

Thanks @wpt-me , I think I'll go with 1/4 teapsoon for both. With the acid I can bump it up in the end if the taste isn't there and what I add now can get well incorporated into the wine...it shouldn't require much, if any, by bottling time.

I need a couple of more jugs of juice and need to decide on how much canned peach I want to add.

It seems I've read that peaches can be difficult to clear. I'm thinking of 1/2 teaspoon of pectin enzyme per gallon. Any thoughts on this? More? Less?

Latest posts

Back