Another new wine maker and "experienced" wine taster!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I went down in the basement last night to grab some stuff for the wife and noticed that 4 of the 5 bottles of the pineapple wine had popped the corks even with shrink wrap on them. I made sure to shake them as much as possible until I wasn't getting any bubbles in them based off of the mango fiasco. I guess they weren't degassed enough. Also, in the bottom of the bottle was a bit of white sediment. Definitely wasn't sugar.

I'll probably have to grab the All-In-One to make this degassing a bit more reliable then doing it by hand. The white grape that I did the same way didn't have an issue. Maybe something with fruits other than grapes? Are they harder to degas?

I've got my second round of white grapes thawing now. I'm going to try and bump up the alcohol content in this next batch, was a little light on the first go around.

I guess they weren't degassed enough. Also, in the bottom of the bottle was a bit of white sediment.
You bottled too quickly -- the answer is to bulk age longer, at least 4 months. You'll have far fewer problems, hopefully none.

Been a while since I have posted. I wanted to give an update on my exploits.

So, before the pineapple fiasco mentioned above, I had tried a few different wines and pretty much ended up with spiked juice. Had a completely, "well duh" moment and realized that I needed to add some sugar prior to fermenting to get the alcohol level where I wanted.

With that being said, I now have about 2 gallons of a concord grape in secondary that certainly smelled and tasted like it had some decent alcohol content in it. Looking forward to playing with that a bit (with some peanut extract later).

I just ordered a few 6 gallon carboys to start on bigger batches as well as some pineapple concentrate to try this pineapple thing again. The one bottle we did try was pretty good, albeit weak.

I also ordered the All In One pump which is a godsend. I ordered it and within minutes Steve was calling me to talk things wine which I really appreciated. It's a wonderful item and now that I am going to move up to bigger batches, it will come in handy for racking those big boys.

Back to work for the second half of the day!

Latest posts

Back