Another new wine maker and "experienced" wine taster!

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

Tstryke

Junior
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

My fiancée and I are huge fans of wine, mostly the sweeter stuff. We are actually getting married in Virginia wine country next year. Super excited for that! We have had the opportunity to travel all over the country and taste wines at their source and, personally, I have had the opportunity to travel all over the world (about 28 different countries) and try their wines as well! It has been a great experience. We always joked about running our own vineyard (with a side business/are for doggie day care for her), so I figured I would try my hand at wine making. Obviously, that's a far leap but I am also a big fan of time invested hobbies so this seemed right up my alley!

In any case, I just bought my first home kit so once that arrives I will begin my journey of making our own wines and probably failing spectacularly in the process, haha!

I look forward to all the advice I will receive on the many questions I am bound to have!

Cheers!

Last edited:

cmason1957

CRS Sufferer
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
O'Fallon, MO - Just NorthWest of St. Louis, MO
Welcome to WMT. First wine kit, best advice I got was to try to follow the directions as nearly exactly as I could, you should be able to make drinkable wine, at a minimum. Ask questions away. Someone on here will have done/tried/failed/succeeded at whatever you try to do, I would guess.

G259

Reaction score
Don't be humbled by this, read online about wine-making, it's not that hard. #1 rule, you MUST keep everything sanitized (not sterilized - which is an absolute).

I use a potassium metabisulfite solution, that I make myself, I spray it on, and rinse with clean water after. If you have a wine making store near you, you can get the powder there, or I use Northern Brewer, or Midwest Supplies.

Read the directions, and ask any questions that crop up.

Last edited:

Rice_Guy

Reaction score
welcome to the forum,
lots of answers here and questions always welcome
you will find wine is a forgiving technology that could be done with 2000 year old techniques

Reactions: s w

winemaker81

wine dabbler
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
@Tstryke, welcome to WMT and congrats on the upcoming marriage!

2 more pieces of advice:

1) if you don't have one, buy a hydrometer. It is the one essential item you want for winemaking. In the Tutorials, Calculators, Wine Logs & Yeast Charts forum, 3rd item down is How To Read Hydrometer.

2) Read the first couple pages of the Beginners Wine Making Forum. You will find answers to most of your questions there, and the answers to questions you don't yet know to ask.

As you read the posts, you'll see this is a friendly atmosphere where we help each other. The only stupid question is the one you don't ask.

G259

Reaction score
I bought a 'low-end' kit, and they shorted the juice on me by almost 50%. You get what you pay for, I bought a 'Finer Wine' kit, and expect good things!

G259

Reaction score
Lesson learned, I found out here, more reputable companies to deal with, so I won't fall into that trap again!