Another new kit from WE - Whisky Barrel Cab/Merlot

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crushday

grape juice artisan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Region:
The Okanagan Valley in British Columbia has a terroir that is affected by the deep Okanagan Lake and the surrounding mountains. The moderately cold but short winters and the hot summer temperatures allow for the production of an exceptionally well balanced Cabernet Sauvignon. Paso Robles, located on the Central Coast of California, enjoys a long growing season and a healthy harvest which is the perfect condition for growing high-quality Merlot! The blend of Cabernet and Merlot from these regions reign supreme.

Limited Release Background:
Last year, Winexpert brought us Eclipse Bourbon Barrel, the 4th in a series of annual Limited Release wine kits under the Eclipse brand. All four (Bourbon Barrel, Nocturnal, Forza, Super Tuscan) were a hit and became one of our best selling Limited Release wines ever. In fact, Bourbon Barrel and Forza are now regular Eclipse products due to its success!! The concept is to bring a special wine to the market that is not a permanent addition to the Eclipse lineup. Like the past 4 releases, we suspect Whisky Barrel will eventually be added to either the WinExpert's Selection or Eclipse product line as a permanent kit and will be around longer than traditional Limited Edition kits. Bourbon Barrel was our largest seller yet and we don't anticipate Whisky Barrel to disappoint!! Therefore, the Whisky Barrel will not be here forever.

The Wine:
A robust blend of California Merlot and full-bodied British Columbia Cabernet Sauvignon are the perfect partners in this delectably versatile blend. The ripe berry fruit flavors, the structured tannins, and the high acidity combine to create a wine that truly shines! The addition of peated and unpeated oak chips from genuine Whisky barrels adds nuances of vanilla, tobacco, and spice as inviting toasty notes on the nose lead to a long, smooth finish.

Food Pairing:
This wines versatility makes it a match for a variety of dishes! Keep it simple with pepperoni pizza or be creative and pair it with a rich, roasted leg of lamb with rosemary and garlic. This wine will practically go with just about anything. Or simply enjoy sipping on it solo over great conversation or other relaxing activities.

Style: Bold Full Bodied Red
Body: Full
Oak: Whisky Barrel
Sweetness: Dry
Alcohol: 13.0%
Labels Included: TBD

Prior Limited Releases have been best selling Winexpert kits. This year's version, Whisky Barrel, is assured to impress our most discerning wine customers. Whisky Barrel will be a very solid addition to your wine cellars and you won't be able to keep enough on hand for friends and family!!
selection-whisky-barrel-cabernet-merlot-limited-release-wine-making-kit-by-winexpert-4.jpg

I dunno, did the Bourbon Barrel last year, but now this feels like things are getting a little gimmicky. I like the blend though, so if I do this kit it may be with French oak instead of Whisky Barrel.

Since this is a Selection kit im guessing this is juice only and no skins.

I am new to winemaking (have done cider and beer), and I was looking at maybe getting this kit, as several of my favorite wines right now are the ones aged in whisky/bourbon/rum barrels (I'm not a high-end wine drinker--I'm happy with $8-12 bottles). I realize it's not top of the line, since it is juice only, but what are everyone's thoughts on its suitability for a beginner like myself? It's got to be better than the 10L kits, right? :)

Laurie, by mostly following the instructions on this kit you'll have a great wine. Whisky barrel aged wine is the craze right now so this is in line with where the market is proposed to be heading. I do believe it will be better than a 10L kit. Skip the sorbate and add time to the schedule. For instance, if secondary asks for 14 days don't be afraid to double or even triple that time.

Was wondering where you got the information that Bourbon Barrel will be a permanent Eclipse release. As a tier 1 Winexpert vendor in BC, we have no more access to Bourbon Barrel.

Was a fantastic wine, however, I was certainly not disappointed.

Was wondering where you got the information that Bourbon Barrel will be a permanent Eclipse release. As a tier 1 Winexpert vendor in BC, we have no more access to Bourbon Barrel.

Was a fantastic wine, however, I was certainly not disappointed.

That whole bit text was taken from the Southern Homebrew pre-order page for the Whisky Barrel kit... (Not sure if I should add a link, but it isn't hard to find.)

So...I just got an email from LP, when I had preordered this kit back at at the end May, saying that Winexpert didn't make enough kits, they were sold out even before the pre-order deadline (apparently LP waited until the deadline to submit their entire order), and they (and 15 other retailers) are not getting any of the kits, at all. :po

They gave 3 options for "resolution":

1. Switch you over to the Selection Cabernet Merlot which is the same blend and same 16 L of Juice and add 45 grams of Whiskey Chips to replace the oak that comes with the kit. If this option is chosen, a refund of $16.65 will be issued since the Selection Cabernet Sauvignon Merlot is on sale at a cheaper price right now and since the Limited Edition Cabernet Merlot kit was a Minimum Advertised Price (MAP) kit.

2. Upgrade to the Eclipse Limited Release Three Moons Cabernet Sauvignon Kit with Skins. This is an 18L kit with skins versus the 16L pre-ordered Whisky Barrel kit which does not have skins and costs $17 more but we will absorb this extra cost at no cost to you due to the inconvenience of having to switch choices.

3. We can issue you a full refund for the kit that we can not get.

#2 is tempting since it has more juice and skins, but I guess I am going with #1, because I prefer the blend over a straight Cab Sauv, but I am not happy about this. I was REALLY looking forward to this kit! Wondering where all the kits did go, if not to major online retailers like LP?!

Last edited:
You could always get the three moons AND add the whiskey barrel chips. Best of both worlds IMO.
I thought about that, but as I said, I prefer blends to straight cab. I have already bought a couple of whisky oak staves to add if I feel like adding extra oomph.

I think LP is doing the best they can with a bad situation; it’s WE that I’m upset with. WE should have paced their distribution and not shipped their entire stock prior to their order deadline! That way all distributors would have gotten some of their whiskey barrel product.
I’m going with LP’s option 1; I think it will result in as good or maybe even a better wine than the WE Special. Too bad I won’t have the Special to compare!
Hopefully LP will add a supplemental instruction sheet; otherwise there will be lots of folks asking questions, when to oak, how long, etc.

I think LP is doing the best they can with a bad situation; it’s WE that I’m upset with. WE should have paced their distribution and not shipped their entire stock prior to their order deadline! That way all distributors would have gotten some of their whiskey barrel product.
I’m going with LP’s option 1; I think it will result in as good or maybe even a better wine than the WE Special. Too bad I won’t have the Special to compare!
Hopefully LP will add a supplemental instruction sheet; otherwise there will be lots of folks asking questions, when to oak, how long, etc.

While I agree most of the blame lies with WE, LP could have sent the orders in batches rather than waiting until the deadline, but perhaps that is how it's usually done and they had no way of knowing WE would sell the kits before the deadline. Hindsight and all, you know.

I did appreciate LP offering multiple options for resolution and told them that in my response. I am curious how many orders they got (how many people they are having to deal with on this issue)...

I just received my replacement kit (the Selection cab/merlot with the added packet of whisky barrel chips). They did include a note to add the whisky barrel chips in the primary and to NOT use the oak that came with the kit so as not to over oak it. I am hoping to get this one started this weekend, after bottling my IM peach/apricot chardonnay.

So I just stumbled on the WE Whisky Barrel Cabernet/Syrah on LabelPeelers.. Never saw it before and can't find much about it. Is this the 2020 release?

I think it was a 2019, maybe even a 2018 initial release. and I say that, due to mine being in the bottle and my wife and I have sampled a few of them, I wish the whiskey hints were a bit stronger, but all in all, a really good kit.

I think it was a 2019, maybe even a 2018 initial release. and I say that, due to mine being in the bottle and my wife and I have sampled a few of them, I wish the whiskey hints were a bit stronger, but all in all, a really good kit.
Thanks for the reply! Seems odd they would still have such old kits in stock --I imagine they wouldn't send an expired kit, right? We'll find out soon, I just got the email that my order has shipped already

Latest posts

Back