Another MLF Question-Is it too late to add?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pete1325

Reaction score
Hi all, I was out of town the past three day and was wondering if it's too late to add Malo Bacteria. I started two buckets of Chilean reds last Thursday (the 27th)...(1) Grenache, (1) Malbec. The starting SG was 1.093 for the Malbec & 1.096 for the Grenache, the yeast I pitched was 71B-1122. On Sunday (the 30th) the SG was 1.045 for the Malbec and 1.073 for the Grenache. I wanted to add Malo Bacteria at/around SG 1.030 but I just got home and checked the SG and both are at/near 1.000......and taste pretty dry already. Is it too late to add Malo Bacteria? The one I was planning to use White Labs WLP675.........thanks.

Im planning on using VP41 on my Chilean juice that is in day 4 of primary. My plan is to add totally AFTER primary and racking to demi and carboys. From what i have researched you can either co-inoculate or do it after primary. It seams everyone does it different. However, you probably have to check with the the strain you are using to see when you can add...

Heck, you can wait for months. Historically Malo happened in the spring when the cellar warmed up. The only issue is when you want to add meta. Has to be before that.

Latest posts

Back