Another kMeta question (guilty)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ericphotoart

Reaction score
I've been trying to find the answer but each case is different so I decided to ask here. My wine stopped fermenting 01.21 and I racked to new carboy 02.21. I added 1/4 of tsp (5 gallons) of kMeta at that time. It's perfectly clear, no sediments. I decided to bottle it now because I'm running out of carboys so my question is: Should I add kMeta again? I plan on storing the wine no longer than 2 years. The wine is about 15.5% alc.

Sorry, but you won't get a consensus on this topic. Ask 10 winemakers, get at least 11 opinions ... however, I'm happy to tell you what I do, and more importantly, why.

I add 1/4 tsp per 5/6 gallons at each racking (post-fermentation), every 3 months during bulk aging, and at bottling. One of our members conducted a test recently, and his results were that adding on this schedule resulted in 25-35 ppm (I can't remember the exact numbers, but IIRC, it was in this range).

SO2 works by binding with contaminants, rendering them harmless, which consumes the SO2 so it must be replenished. The K-meta you add at bottling is the last dose it will receive.

I'd add the K-meta at bottling to help ensure the wine has the shelf life you expect.

From a safety point of view, you are dealing with a three month old wine, therefore the rules used for kits should be followed.
I would add the K meta. ,, If dry I wouldn’t add sorbate. ,, I would expect that there are yeast in suspension and by the time the wine is six months old there will be some fine lees on the bottom of the bottle. If you are using fresh juice there will be some fruit solids in suspension which also come out.
,,, if you sweeten I would add sorbate. ,,, a 15% alcohol might be stable without sorbate but it is a risk factor

Thanks. I bdecided to follow your recommendations. I added sorbate yesterday. I will wait for a week, add KMeta and bottle.

Back