Another dumb question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pulione

Reaction score
In the beer years when directions of steps called for vigorous stirring, I alway used a paint mixer attachment for the drill, Worked fine - I just put the Merlot kit into the primary fermenter, it has 3 stages calling for "vigorous" stirring. Not sure if I should or not, I used the long spoon. I stirred and stirred some more - there is a stage calling for wood chips, they are to be added and "vigorous" stirring. No matter what, the chips remain at the top, (wood floats) - I don't know what I accomplished, but whatever it was, I sure could have used the pain mixer.
My first though that maybe there is a fear of introducing air into the wine - (reverse the drill and slow it down) - no air - so my question is can I substitue the stirring with the paint mixer???
thanks for your patience - it is appreciated - ( I will get there yet )

I assume stirring is required once water is added to concnetrate, paint stirrer okay
string daily during fermentation, hand stirring okay
string for degassing paint stirrer okay.
adding wood chips hand stirrer okay

I assume stirring is required once water is added to concnetrate, paint stirrer okay
string daily during fermentation, hand stirring okay
string for degassing paint stirrer okay.
adding wood chips hand stirrer okay
Thank you for the reply - it will cut down some of the stirring at any rate!
Take care -

Vigorous stirring is only needed in dissolving sugar or when degassing a wine. So, while that drill attachment is fine for those situations for the daily stirring, you don't need that super-vigorous stirring - especially if you have fruit in a bag in the container.

Vigorous stirring is only needed in dissolving sugar or when degassing a wine. So, while that drill attachment is fine for those situations for the daily stirring, you don't need that super-vigorous stirring - especially if you have fruit in a bag in the container.
Thanks Scooter - do you stir the primary fermenter all thru the initial process - I have always just left the intial fermentation on beer alone, until the transfer to secondary day.
This transition from beer to wine is not as easy as some say!
Thanks again - appreciated.

Thanks Scooter - do you stir the primary fermenter all thru the initial process - I have always just left the intial fermentation on beer alone, until the transfer to secondary day.
This transition from beer to wine is not as easy as some say!
Thanks again - appreciated.

The transition isn't all that hard. Nearly everything you did with beer will work just fine with wine. Stir during primary, don't stir, take your pick, both work (This is one of those ask 10 winemakers, get 11 opinions). Wine is more forgiving than beer, the ph is lower, the alcohol level is higher. I am a leave a lid on loosely, stir twice or three times a day kind of person for reds. Clamp the lid down, don't stir, ferment colder for whites kind of guy.

The transition isn't all that hard. Nearly everything you did with beer will work just fine with wine. Stir during primary, don't stir, take your pick, both work (This is one of those ask 10 winemakers, get 11 opinions). Wine is more forgiving than beer, the ph is lower, the alcohol level is higher. I am a leave a lid on loosely, stir twice or three times a day kind of person for reds. Clamp the lid down, don't stir, ferment colder for whites kind of guy.
I am into the second day of the primary fir the Marlot, so I think I will go for agitation each day. Following what I read, the primry tub top is loose - (actually a neat tub - Spagnols - the top is a loose fit) so we will give this a try. I think the yeast should start today or tomorrow, so the timing is right. I have added a heat belt and watching the temp closely - 83 deg.f.
Thanks for the help - appreciated.

I am into the second day of the primary fir the Marlot, so I think I will go for agitation each day. Following what I read, the primry tub top is loose - (actually a neat tub - Spagnols - the top is a loose fit) so we will give this a try. I think the yeast should start today or tomorrow, so the timing is right. I have added a heat belt and watching the temp closely - 83 deg.f.
Thanks for the help - appreciated.
Another question:
Never having used a "Heat Belt" previously - a bit concerned - temp now has risen to 84 deg f - this is in about 18 hours, I have taken it off line until I can find a safe range for primary fermentation.
The room itself is 71 deg - so I have a 13 deg delta - I do have a vigorous yeast reaction, this being the second day, but I don't want to cook the yeast.
Sorry to drive you samaritan's nuts.

Another question:
Never having used a "Heat Belt" previously - a bit concerned - temp now has risen to 84 deg f - this is in about 18 hours, I have taken it off line until I can find a safe range for primary fermentation.
The room itself is 71 deg - so I have a 13 deg delta - I do have a vigorous yeast reaction, this being the second day, but I don't want to cook the yeast.
Sorry to drive you samaritan's nuts.
With the room at 71, you don't need a heat belt at all. Mine are in my basement, with an ambient temp of about 66, they are doing fine.

With the room at 71, you don't need a heat belt at all. Mine are in my basement, with an ambient temp of about 66, they are doing fine.
That eases the mind - it will go back into the box from whence it came.
Thanks loads - have a good night.

That eases the mind - it will go back into the box from whence it came.
Thanks loads - have a good night.
Here Goes Another Dumb One:
Never having used a open tub fermenter before:
I checked the temp this morning, but I am concerned, there is no crown on the wine- so I have no idea if there is fermentation or the yeast is active, too early to take a SG - there is a strong odor, but no visual evidence, just a flat smooth surface.
Normal-??

Here Goes Another Dumb One:
Never having used a open tub fermenter before:
I checked the temp this morning, but I am concerned, there is no crown on the wine- so I have no idea if there is fermentation or the yeast is active, too early to take a SG - there is a strong odor, but no visual evidence, just a flat smooth surface.
Normal-??
Bear with me - I will go and stir!
Thanks

The temp is constant - I don't know about fizz - but I do have a fair amount of foam the now covers the surface - (sure wish I knew what I was doing)
Thanks loads for the reply - it is appreciated.
Best I stop and do some more reading, there should not be so many unkowns in this process.
Thanks again.

I think that the sugar settles sometimes, and a good daily stir for the first few days of fermenting resolves this.

I start with a loose cover, usually for the first few days,stirring daily, then cover and stir every 3 or 4. Probably twice, then it might be finished (every wine is it's own animal!) Sit for a month, then rack off lees. Bulk age for 6 mo., age for 6 mo. in bottle. These are my GENERAL rules, and are adjusted as I see fit. I sometimes bulk age longer, but experiments develop knowledge

Latest posts

Back