Another Christmas party goes by,,,

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

myakkagldwngr

Reaction score
We went to a Christmas party for the second year this past Saturday. It has a lot of people from the Walmart where I work, their friends and family.
Last year, I carried several bottles of my wine for the present.
Your name gets called, you either open a new present or steal one that you like from someone else.
Being there are no young kids, only adults here, the big thing seems to be alcohol related.
There was quite a few bottles of Jack, Jim Beam and some Irish whiskey that got picked and stolen several times before the gift was frozen and couldn't be stolen anymore.
I sat and watched as they would look at my present, then move on to something else.
Much to my amazement, my present, just like last year was the last one left to be picked.
So finally one of the women there decided to take it and not steal anyone elses present.
Once again, it was a big hit. I gave four bottles of wine. 1 each of blackberry, strawberry, peach and rose petal.
Everyone said they were going to watch me next year to see what package I brought to the party.
Me, I picked a box that looked and felt like a good quart of booze, only to end up with candles, just like last year.

We went to a Christmas party for the second year this past Saturday. It has a lot of people from the Walmart where I work, their friends and family.
Your name gets called, you either open a new present or steal one that you like from someone else.
Being there are no young kids, only adults here, the big thing seems to be alcohol related.
There was quite a few bottles of Jack, Jim Beam and some Irish whiskey that got picked and stolen several times before the gift was frozen and couldn't be stolen anymore.
I sat and watched as they would look at my present, then move on to something else.
Much to my amazement, my present, just like last year was the last one left to be picked.
So finally one of the women there decided to take it and not steal anyone elses present.
Once again, it was a big hit. I gave four bottles of wine. 1 each of blackberry, strawberry, peach and rose petal.
Everyone said they were going to watch me next year to see what package I brought to the party.
Me, I picked a box that looked and felt like a good quart of booze, only to end up with candles, just like last year.

That's pretty cool that your wine was a hit. And I bet your candles will last longer than a bottle of booze. :D
(I know they would at my house)

Sounds fun I work at target and we don' get any Christmas party's :m. rose petal wine? interesting what kinda rose pedals do you use?

Much to my amazement, my present, just like last year was the last one left to be picked...

I've seen the same thing... People who would not hesitate to eat some anonymous cake, cookies, coleslaw, etc -- about which they knew nothing of how sanitary it was -- seem to hesitate when confronted with homemade wine or beer. I used to give bottles of my best wines as gifts, but eventually realized I was probably wasting at least half of those(!) Fortunately, I'm retited now and only exchange wines with friends who know and appreciate what they're getting.

Yep, its a funny thing. They have no idea how to make wine so assume that you dont either and stray from it not knowing its the sh!t!

I think the biggest issue out there is that there is so much crappy home made wine and a lot of these folks have tasted it or heard about it. My wife was not excited about me making wine as her ex made it a few times and it was really bad. Now she dosen't want to drink any other wine but mine and my friends on this forum that we have gottten together with. Oh yeah she like Julie's husbands beer also.

Yeah, Ive tried some terrible wines also. Not to knock anyone or the way they make it but ever terrible wine Ive tried has been one where people dot use any yeast or sulfites. Hold on, before some of you fall off your rocker Ive also had some great wines made this way. It just seems that I have never tried a wine that was nasty where someone used wine yeast with the exception of 1 of mine. (Joe Mattoli's Orange mead). I also have to say on that one I didnt follow the recipe to a "T".

I live in a fairly small town and we like to entertain, so word is out and we get requests for wine from people we don't even know. We had our home on a garden tour a few year ago and we displayed not only our flower gardens, but also our little vineyard and fruit orchard. I set up a table with tasting glasses and invited those who were interested to taste some home made wines. That went over really well and I think it surprised a lot of people on how good a home made wine can taste when it's not made in a dirty milk jug with a balloon on top.

I get the response of folks being given home made wine and it poured out like sludge. They look at mine and are amazed at how it looks and later compliment on how great it was. Especially the skeeter pee variations.

Lon, been thinking about doing a 6 pak of skeeter pee with different flavors. Now that would be a HUGE hit! You'll go down in history Lon. Thanks

You don't know what the gift is until you open it. So my package just sat there till the last thing.
As far as the rose petal wine, I used a variety of different roses they were going to toss out at work.
I tried a glass when I bottled it and it wasn't bad. You definitely got the aroma and taste of the roses. I kept the % down on it to around 8% so as to not overwhelm the rose petals.

Latest posts

Back