Another 2018 Grape Plan Thread

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DriftlessDoc

Reaction score
This fall will be the first time not using a kit or juice. I've decided to try to use some local grapes from our U pick vineyard about an hour away. Since I just basically know what I'm doing and this is my first try with grapes, I'm going to limit my batches.

I'm going to see about getting the following

50lb Prairie Star grapes 50lb LaCrescent grapes which will be a white blend. Planning on adding just enough St Croix (10lbs of grapes might be enough to give it some color) to it to make a blended Rose.

60lbs of St Croix Grapes and 150lbs Marquette grapes

Planning on a 100% Marquette dry red using about 100lbs of those grapes

And also a 50% St Croix and 50% Marquette blend which should mature faster and be a little more mellow and smooth.

This would net me in ideal conditions 20 gallons of wine or just over 100 bottles. I think to myself, god I dont need that much, BUT if something comes out really good, I'd love to have it. I always loose a bit in racking and filtering so I'd guess I'll be closer to 90 bottles at the end.

My plans are loosely based on what I've been reading the past few weeks and I'm making a lot of it up as I go along.

I'd love to hear thoughts, suggestions, concerns anyone might have.

The plans sound really good, looks like you really thought it out well. I found that the more wine I make, the more I share and it allows me to put some away as well to enjoy three to five years from now.

Not familiar with any of the grapes you mention, no help on that front. But I say go for it. How are you going to handle crush and press?

Not familiar with any of the grapes you mention, no help on that front. But I say go for it. How are you going to handle crush and press?

There's a brew shop that will rent presses. Crushing will take place on site at the vineyard and they'll press the grapes for whites for you there too. I may just buy a press though. I have a couple months to convince myself I should do it lol.

Latest posts

Back