And Phil says:

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yippppppeeeeeeeee

GroundHog02.gif
GroundhogDayNoShadowSpring.gif

I want at least three weeks of winter. Then we go to Canaan Valley WV for our ski trip and it can go straight to 80 degrees after that, for all I care.

LOL, the saying usually says, "six more weeks of winter" or "an early spring."

As I sit here in my Florida Room on February 2nd (Groundhog Day), watching the latest Arctic Clipper System start to roll in (2" to 4" of snow predicted) and wishing that I were in Florida, I am contemplating the accuracy of Punxsutawny Phil's predictions over the years. Hmmm,...? How many here on this forum have ever had Groundhog Stew and what wine would go best with it?

Make sure this is a young guy whether it is roadkill or shot

[SIZE=+1]Groundhog Stew served with Marilyn Merlot[/SIZE]

1 woodchuck
2 onions, sliced
1/2 cup celery, sliced
Flour
Vinegar and water
Salt and pepper
ClovesClean woodchuck; remove glands; cut into serving pieces. Soak overnight in a solution of equal parts of water and vinegar with addition of one sliced onion and a little salt. Drain, wash, and wipe. Parboil 20 minutes, drain, and cover with fresh boiling water. Add one sliced onion, celery, a few cloves, and salt and pepper to taste. Cook until tender; thicken gravy with flour.

stew.jpg

Last edited:
Runningwolf,

That sounds a lot like the recipe that one of my childhood neighbor ladies used for the muskrat carcasses that used to give her, after we trapped and skinned them, The exception is that she soaked them in salt brine overnight, rather than vinegar, and added carrots and potatoes to the stew.

We used to think she was crazy and never did take her up on her offering of a taste. She took as many muskrats as we could trap. 50 years later she is still alive at age 92, so it must have been good eats.

I never had it up a guy up the road from us makes it and he says it is very similar to venison. So I would say Elderberry wine would go with it

Long ago, when I was just a "little children," we used to hunt groundhogs up near Butler, PA. The farmers would pay us a bounty of $3 per carcass (not a bad return for a 5 cent cartridge) and they got the carcass. Seems they did not like their cows breaking their legs on the groundhog holes. I often wondered what they did with the carcasses; now I know.

Long ago, when I was just a "little children," we used to hunt groundhogs up near Butler, PA. The farmers would pay us a bounty of $3 per carcass (not a bad return for a 5 cent cartridge) and they got the carcass. Seems they did not like their cows breaking their legs on the groundhog holes. I often wondered what they did with the carcasses; now I know.

Butler, Pa? LOL, now that is my old stomping grounds and yes I'm sure a lot of those farmers got some real joy out of that stew. :tz

I never had it up a guy up the road from us makes it and he says it is very similar to venison. So I would say Elderberry wine would go with it

Just a FYI for everyone,,,this is not me!!! :<

JULIE :ft:ft:ft enough said, just go to the coner.

Aaaah.....NO!!!!:ft You guys have got that corner a total mess and someone was smoking cigars over there!

I'm going to a different corner, where I think I will have a meat and cheese platter and maybe a bottle of Elderberry or Muscadine Red. :h

Well, Shubenacadie Sam agrees with Phil, so it must be true!

Latest posts

Back