And Just Like That...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pinot Noir was at 0.996 and both Malbecs were at 0.994 so I pressed this morning. Things are looking good.

For those keeping track, I did 6 lugs of Malbec split into two batches. Everything was identical except in one I used OptiRed and used Noblesse in the other. There is currently no discernible difference in color, nose or taste. Interestingly, both yielded 7.5 gallons, in total. However, I got about a quarter gallon more free run out of the Noblesse batch, but more press run from the OptiRed batch. In the end, probably not a material difference, as it could've just been a difference in the positioning of the GHT and racking cane. For now, I'm going to call the results identical. I'll keep an eye out for any differences until I have to combine them a bit for barrel aging in a couple months.

I'm about to press my Malbec and curious what the yield will be. I have one less lug than you so I won't have as much. It's going to be interesting what the difference between a basket and bladder press will make.

@Cynewulf often referred Grenache to Grenache Gris which I had to look up. It appears there are 4 Grenache varietals and what we seem to be getting from the west coast is Grenache Gris. The others are Blanc, Noir and Lledoner Pelut.

Edition 2019 - Grenaches du Monde
I asked Jim B- he said the grenache has always been pink from Washington Winemakers. Delta or Colavita, same.
I ended up with several batches I hadn't planned for. Don't quite know what I was thinking, but I am fermenting several things I intended to make eventually, just not all at once. I suppose the correct answer is 'sure!' I passed the test!
And I can see how hard it is to press Concord vs. Grenache .

I'm about to press my Malbec and curious what the yield will be. I have one less lug than you so I won't have as much. It's going to be interesting what the difference between a basket and bladder press will make.

Forgot to post the results. Yours come out to 2.5 gallons per lug. When I pressed at 1 bar I ended up with 13 gallons which is 2.6 gallons per lug. After that I removed the skins, fluffed them, pressed to 3 bar and got another gallon. This made 2.8 gallons per lug. Not sure what I was expecting but it was closer than what I might have guessed.

Forgot to post the results. Yours come out to 2.5 gallons per lug. When I pressed at 1 bar I ended up with 13 gallons which is 2.6 gallons per lug. After that I removed the skins, fluffed them, pressed to 3 bar and got another gallon. This made 2.8 gallons per lug. Not sure what I was expecting but it was closer than what I might have guessed.

Nice press pressure data. I've kind of settled on 1 bar. But there is a bit more wine above that. I just get to the "sufficient wine" place and stop. Did you notice if the bladder press run got astringent above 2 bar? I am very curious about this press pressure variable. Thanks for posting your experience. In my opinion, having used both bladder and screw presses, the bladder press makes for a superior product. But, the screw press will last until the end of time. The bladder press has a finite lifespan. I'll likely replace the bladder at 5 years as PM.

Nice press pressure data. I've kind of settled on 1 bar. But there is a bit more wine above that. I just get to the "sufficient wine" place and stop. Did you notice if the bladder press run got astringent above 2 bar? I am very curious about this press pressure variable. Thanks for posting your experience. In my opinion, having used both bladder and screw presses, the bladder press makes for a superior product. But, the screw press will last until the end of time. The bladder press has a finite lifespan. I'll likely replace the bladder at 5 years as PM.

There was a slightly higher astringency in the 3 bar press but not enough to make me not want to use it. My preferment notes say it was not very tannic in the first place so that could be the reason.

Update:

This morning, I took care of a few chores. I racked and sulfited the Rose, adding Lysozyme as well. Crazy acid fallout in the carboy, but the acidity is still there in the wine (I was too lazy to measure pH). It's very bright with good fruit, but a little lacking in tannin (I like a nice, dry Rose). Overall, very pleasant right now; but I'll be looking into ways to get it to feel a little drier. Color is bright, and very similar to a commercial Rioja rose I had nearby. I'm going to enjoy this wine. When that was all done and cleaned up, I gave the fermenters a good Oxy Clean treatment before putting them away for good until next season.

1636643030893.jpeg

1636643048465.jpeg

I've been growing Grenache 2 clones of Grenache for 12 years now and the difference between the color of the clones is striking. 1 is a Tabalas Creek clone the other the Old Vine California clone. If picked to early the tannins will kill you, I've found the brix level of your grapes perfect for what I am trying to make. I sort and any bunches that look less than completely ripe (a few translucent Berries) I make Rose out of. I also pull some juice and add to the rose batch. Lallzymne EX and OptiRed, GRE yeast. Once the fermentation is going strong I co-inoculate with B7 Direct MLB. I've had other people making the wine until a couple of years ago and let's say the results have been lets that optimum and I've learn for their experiences. I press just a little sweet and let it finish in the carboy trying to avoid too much tannin. I don't get hung up on color but Last year added a touch of Syrah, this year it is just fine. This what works for me.

Back