And it begins

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been watching it for a while. I think it's worked it's way into Ohio. I've 3 vines in a row that that appear dead and I have to perform an autopsy why. They are all together and the same age (almost 4) and the same variety. No sign of galling or other disease (and I was going to let them bear this year). Hope it's not related to the borers.

Flowering started here, 3 weeks ahead of last year.

My Tempranillos's are much more vigourous than my Malbecs this year. A switch from previous years. I think because last year powdery mildew on the Tempranillos ruined the fruit so I picked early. The plants must have stored the excess energy for this year. The Malbecs were loaded last year but ran out of warm weather and we had the coldest October since I have lived here. 2 more warm weeks would have been great which is why I so pleased that they are flowering now. The Malbecs with the most grapes last year were the slowest to start this year.

I added 6 Baco Noir and 5 Tannat vines. Just babies, one of the Baco's didn't make it. At least it looks like it didn't make it. I thought 2 of the Tannats may have died but they were just being slow. So far this year is looking good. Learned my lesson on the powdery mildew on the Tempranillos last year so I am spraying them this year.

Flowering is almost 2 weeks earlier here. Walked the vineyard this morning. Cabs looking good and they haven't for 2 years. Merlot look good as usual, most consistent in the vineyard. Carmenere looks good. Syrah just getting going, typically the last but usually first to harvest.

Spray today! Had a very hard rain last night with high winds. Supposed to be fairly cool and dryer this week.

I don't have records from the first few years. Last year when I noticed the flowering I thought it seemed later than normal and vowed to keep better records. Luckily I took pictures of the first buds last year and could get the date from the pictures. The interesting thing is the first bud break this year was 4/18/20 almost the same day as last year, 4/19/19.

Light hail very briefly here. We got gusts up near 50 but the only damage was a branch on a huge red fir tree. None in the orchard or vineyard.

Mine were starting to look good. Had a several storm blow through last night and did a good deal of damage.

View attachment 61986View attachment 61987
Natural cluster thinning I guess. The s
Mine were starting to look good. Had a several storm blow through last night and did a good deal of damage.

View attachment 61986View attachment 61987
I feel your pain Dennis. Doesn’t look too awfully bad but any loss is still frustrating. Natural cluster thinning I guess.

No color at all. Probably a week or two out I'd say. Photos are Syrah and Carmenere. Merlot 2 to 3 weeks. Cabs maybe 3 or 4 weeks, they're always later.

I trimmed and sprayed today.

Latest posts

Back